Chpcycle the build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After posting my listing of "TubCycle" I have had several ask that I show the build of "Chopcycle". This is not a new build but however was built back in 2007 over a 3 month period at Gas Axe Chop Shop in Ten Mile TN. it started as a dream as I sit at work one day. Custom bikes were getting hot and I was dying to give it a shot. I had built numerous automobiles and had customized a few pedal cars in my days but never really did a bicycle So with pen an paper in hand below is what i came up with.

DSCF0350.jpg

DSCF0339.jpg

DSCF0338.jpg

After having the design in my head and on paper I started stock piling parts from ebay. My first purchase was two OCC bicycles for the wheels and tires, rear tail section and handlebars. I then needed a schwinn spoiler bike for much needed addtional parts. Then it was to my local flea market to pick up a used 14 speed bike for the gears and derailer. The first part of the build went fast and matched the pictures perfectly. The only problem was that I only had one red rear wheel and did not want to pay for an entire spoiler just for the rear wheel. So I kept looking while building the bike with two gray rear wheels.

DSCF0394.jpg

DSCF0395.jpg

DSCF0397.jpg

During the build the over all design would stay the same but minor changes would come along as we built. From time to time you would notice a few things being changed out or modifed. I tried to find as many old parts that I could from ebay. We used the head tube from the spoiler, the front springer front end, the front pedal crank which is just too cool. As you will notice both rear wheels will pull with the chain on the inside of both wheels. The wheel had to be reversed on the right side of the bike. This would leave the bike clean on the outside with only the disc brakes showing.

DSCF0402.jpg

DSCF0403.jpg

We needed a way for the bike to stop and therefore installed a disc on each rear and on the front.

DSCF0405.jpg

DSCF0406.jpg

DSCF0407.jpg

Tim Dixon that owns Gas Ax Chop Shop is perfect fabricated along with everything else he does. As you will note the hand is fabricated by hand with a hammer and a piece of sheet metal.

DSCF0420.jpg

The hardest part we had was the derailer on the rear end. It was a 7 speed sprocket; however we use only the center 5 sprockets to keep it from wanting to come off while riding down the road.

IMG

I wanted an old school shifter and it works perfect. When people first look at the bike they think this is just for show; however,they are blown away when they discover it actually shifts the 5 speed rear end.

DSCF0434.jpg

After we had it all together we took and had it poweder coated in a satan black finish with a gloss white tank. I wanted this to a durable finish to with stand the punishment of riding it and yes you can ask anyone in east TN that this bike is riden. I had a local sign shop do the lettering on the tank that you will see in later pictures.

DSCF0490.jpg

It is now somewhat complete. I added a white wall tire in the front for some nastalga. I was able to talk my local bike shop "Scotts Bicycles" out of a red schwinn spoiler wheel so the rear wheels were changed out to match the front. I did this in a hurray and know I left out a lot of information so let me know if there are questions.

DSCF0498.jpg

I had a chance to see this bike at the Coasters show last Saturday. It is a beautiful, professional quality bike. It is an awesome trike, gets me thinkin'......... :roll:

Great job and glad to know it's a 'rider' as well as a show quality machine.

Question, how did you add the discs to the original OCC wheels? I've got a conversion in the works myself and looking for inspiration.

Cheers,
Dr. T

To add disc to a regular wheel is fairly simple with the right tools. The place that help me build this bike has its on machine shop. We milled down a piece of aluminum the thickness we needed to space out the rotor to keep the calliper from hitting the spokes. Once this was done we then bolted the disc/rotor to the alumninum and then to the wheel. I am doing this currently on the Tubcycle front wheel which is an ofter market 72 spoke wheel. The center hub is large enough on this wheel to run the same bolt through the disc, the aluminum and through the rim. The biggest part is milling down the piece of aluminum from a solid block. If I don't forget I will try to take a close up of the front wheel we are currently working on and post a picture. Thanks for the kind words toward Chopcycle and that was a great show!!!

I love this build. It is awesome. Between this one and the Billy Jack trike I am wanting to try to build one myself someday.

JimK

that is just. . .wow. for some reason i can see a little trailor in the gap between the rear wheels. but awe ...., i couldnt even. . just wow :mrgreen:

Awesome Trike! It's cool to see a different rear end than a standard trike. The use of two rears worked out great. The stance is perfect! How dose it ride?

dorr said:
I hope you enjoy the pictures of the build and appreciate your viewing time!!!!!!

DSCF0504.jpg
That is VERY COOL! Thanks for sharing! 8)
Do you have a "freewheel" on each of the rear wheel hubs just for looks? I'm not sure I understand what's happening. There is another "freewheel" in the sprockets on the "jackshaft", correct?

Latest posts

Back