Cheap triples? or Strut bars? For my Hawthorne (no pics)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on the fence about using some OCC triple forks I bought expressly for my Hawthorne build which is almost complete.

I took the time to redo the original parts, just in case I changed my mind. Well, that time has come and I can't seem to.

The only issue with the occ forks (which would be cut down to "Bad Boy" level) is that the dropouts are too easily identifiable as cheap OCC Stingray bits. The problem with Cheap OCC stingray parts is that the rest of the bike will be drop dead gorgeous, using rare, over-the-top, expensive parts. I think I just made my mind up, but using expensive parts combined with the fact it's about a '41 Hawthorne- it doesn't make sense to me going to the trouble of the OCC forks when the originals would be more "befitting" an old, fine hot rod build.

I would show pictures, but my girlfriend washed my digital cam in the laundry.

I'm not going to lie, nothing brings a cool build down like an out of place part. Its not even that its cheap or easily identifiable, more that it might not fit the look of the build. Maybe if the part looks good on there it just needs to be painted different to make it look more custom. Hard to really say without pics though.

You could try a set of Jesse James chopper forks, they have a way better look than the OCC ones and are adjustable so you wouldn't need to cut anything. I have a set if you need them.

seems like you have your mind made up, it seems like you have decided NOT to use the occ forks. thats perfectly fine man, just save them for another build. pics would be nice though. :D

Thanks for the input guys. I'm a pic loser right now. I have an old digital camera, but I can't seem to reload the old driver to it. It's messing up on me.

Joe and Don, you nailed it. The Jessee James forks would be totally appropriate. They are much better looking.
I can save the OCC forks (Painted black) for a cheap Cranberry build. That's what I'll do.

We'll see what happens. Won't be long.

Back