Cheap tires suck

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I bought some new (used) rims for my Xtracycle. I now upgrade to disc brakes in the future 8)

The only problem is I have been using some $10 Bell commuter tires and they are the hardest tires to mount and unmount :cry: :cry: . I was being cheap the day I bought them. The LBS around here only stock expensive knobby tires. Mounting them tonight I kept pinching the tubes no matter how hard I tried. I now will be on the hunt for some better tires. I was thinking about some studded tires for the winter. We have had snow 2 times this week :p :p

you mentioned that you got new mtb wheels. are the rims sun rhyno lites? if so i have found these can be hard to mount tires on sometimes. make sure you put a little air in the tube to hold its shape then put that into the tire. then put the tire on the rip and stuff the valve through the hole. start with one bead and work your way around both sides of the valve away from it till you have the first bead on. then start with the second again starting at the valve and working away from it. if you find it is tight go around the section that is all the way on already and squeze it together and down a bit to get the tire into the center of the rim this should make it easier. if all else fails get better tires :D

Karfer- They are Bontrager Selects. Nothing special except fairly sturdy. The price was right for rims that are less than 6months old. My old rear rim was starting to have some little cracks and such.

I follow that process pretty much. Even use a little soapy water to help. The main problem are the cheap tires because the sidewall are fairly thick.

well those tires are really stiff too. maybe if you got them warm first that would help but then again if you got a flat your SOL. bontragers suffer from the same problem just be glad you dont have a MTB and are trying to put on downhill tires. they are about as stiff as a car tire lol

Back