Chain break that doesnt break?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have snapped three chain breaks in the last month or so. of course im using them on alot of ratty chains. is there a good quality chain break out there, should i be taking the old chains off another way??

I am a big fan of the Park Tool for chain tools. They have replaceable pins and are built to last especially the larger shop models. I have been using the CT-5 for 3 or 4 years now and very happy.

On really corroded chains, hit it with some wd-40 or penetrating oil first.

I've found that 95% of the old bikes i come across, all have a split link.

If they don't, i usually just punch out a link with hammer/punch and add a split link.

The Bell chain tool from walmart lasted about 3 chains. forget giving that a try. The park chain tool is twice the price, and a whole lot better investment.

A new Bell chain at walmart is about $8.00, why mess with the old frozen up chain? A cutoff wheel in the angle grinder will make short work of a link of chain, and off it goes.

Just my 2 centavos.

Park tool chain breakers are pretty much indestructable. For really bad chains I usually cut them off with a pair of bolt cutters or a hacksaw (unless it's a skiptooth). :D

i was going to post a link to TSC with the tool but they don't show it on their site, a buddy let me use it for my bike engine chain but i used it on the bike chain with EASE!!

i usually just punch the pin on a block of wood and
i use a C-clamp with washer to pop it back together when i'm done

here is that tool
http://www.redline-ci.com/Race%20Access ... reaker.jpg

I've had good luck with a Park Tool breaker (CT-3). They have replaceable pins and big handles. I don't think a skip tooth chain fits.

udallcustombikes said:
I picked up a Summit Chain breaker at my LBS today. Has anyone used one? Thoughts about Summit tools?
chainbreaker.jpg

I use the exact same tool as this, albeit with a different name, and imo its not a bad tool, not the best, but its done 35-40 chains so far, mostly crusty stuff too, but the threads on the T-handle section are getting a lil' floppy now, still works mind!

bicycleguy said:
Park tool chain breakers are pretty much indestructable. For really bad chains I usually cut them off with a pair of bolt cutters or a hacksaw (unless it's a skiptooth). :D

I'm new to the world that is 'skip tooth' :D I keep lubing and adjusting mine and hoping all is going to be ok :shock: :)
Here is my lovely chain splitter, not sure of the era but thinking 1950's-1960's its made by Pennant and just feels so cool in your hand if that makes sense?? £3 off english ebay! Works perfect! will look for other's for forum members if you like!!
STP82305.jpg

I have a Park CT-5 chain tool and it's lasting quite well. I have about 15 uses in it so far and the only flaw I had was one of the "walls" bent back a little bit, so all I did was get a hammer and a block of metal to straighten it out and it's like new again. :D

DO NOT get the Wal-Mart chain tools. They last about 2 trials, 3 if you're lucky. Worthless!

schwinnmesa said:
I have a Park CT-5 chain tool and it's lasting quite well. I have about 15 uses in it so far and the only flaw I had was one of the "walls" bent back a little bit, so all I did was get a hammer and a block of metal to straighten it out and it's like new again. :D

DO NOT get the Wal-Mart chain tools. They last about 2 trials, 3 if you're lucky. Worthless!

I had one of the Wally-World chain tools and it lasted through 25 or 30 chains. Of course after the second one the threads were stripped out so I had to use a hammer to drive the pins out.

Back