Centerfold material

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some pics of a bike I saw at Cycle Works yesterday! If I remember right it's a Columbia. Not sure what year though. Enjoy! :D
2007_0812bitsnpieces0014.jpg

2007_0812bitsnpieces0012.jpg

2007_0812bitsnpieces0013.jpg

2007_0812bitsnpieces0017.jpg

Ohh nice. I had a helluva time finding the place the road was all tore up.

OOoOooOoOOOo

Nice ride! Is that yours or just a bike at the shop? Is it for sale? That would look really nice with my other two Columbia's. Playboy, Playbike, I wonder if that was a name progression? What year is it? The Sturmey hub should have the month year stamped in it.

Thanks, Joe

Joe, I wish it was mine! It belongs to one of the employees at Cycle Works. I know he just bought it from one of their customers. he might be interested in selling it, but I'm not sure.I think there's a contact link on the their website, you could give it a try.
http://www.cycleworks.biz

It's not one of Eric's bikes, it belongs to his employee, so he might have to pass the word along, but it's worth a shot.
Good luck,
Chainsaw

I sent an email

I sent them out an email. We shall see what kind of response I get.

The one's at the NE MBM I don't recall seeing. Some of the bikes in the archives have been sold over the years to make room for new museum pieces. When I go there in a few weeks i will take my camera and grab a few new pics.

With two columbia's already I am finding these bikes are a neat subset of Muscle bike collectibles and they are affordable, relatively speaking.

I will keep you updated.

Thanks, Joe

It's an early one

The first Columbia musclebikes were out in '64 as a response to Schwinn's runaway success with the Stingray.

They called theirs "Playboy 88" but then changed it to "Playbike". My coppertone's a '67.

columb_playbike.jpg

The frame construction over the rear wheel with the arched construction of the seat stays identifies it as a Columbia frame. They made this up until at least 1978 or 79. Later models were also labeled as "Tripper"s.

The Vista line of bikes shared frame designs with these vintage Columbias.

If anyone's interested, the 67 is for sale and it's reasonable.

--=={{Rob}}==--

I had to show an old friend a picture of the playboy bike
he had one I recognised it by the handlebars fork setup
He could ride a wheelie around town on that thing non stop!
He ws blown away seeing it his was green.
he doesnt remember the playboy name but remembers the exact handlebars and fork

Back