ccm? maybe? need help!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I bought this bike today and was told it was from 1937, but I believe that date on the hub is the patent date for the hub. I think it is a 1940's ccm but not sure. there is a serial number on the frame says D5491, I think. If anyone can tell me what it is, I would really appreciate it. the bike is black with white pinstriping, is the paint original?
http://s1017.photobucket.com/albums/af2 ... 20bicycle/

I dismantled it completely and am planing a full rebuild, but not sure if i should keep the paint or repaint it. dont think the basket is original but i like it and am going to add some wood slats to it.

I cleaned some of the parts up today and found lots of ccm emblems everywhere so guess its a ccm. the front hub says NEW DEPARTURE WL made in the U.S.A. If anyone knows what model this bike is I would love to know.

and should I strip and repaint the bike or keep the paint???

Good score! If the D is the first digit in the serial # the chart says its a 1924. The next serial# that come with a D is 1940 being the second digit, then 1952 being the last digit. Judging by the hub being stamped 1937 I would say its a 40' but someone could have put a newer set of wheels on it. The new departures didn't come on ccm's I believe. The stem and bars sure look early, possibly 20's and the sprocket doesn't look original to a ccm. Some better closeups may give a better idea though. I would probably paint it but depends on the final look you want..RAT or RESTORED!

so i stripped some paint today on the frame the black came off no problem but there was red under it that is really on there. i think the black was put on later in the bikes life. im going to have to sandblast the rest of it.

the serial number is 100% D5491.
the chart says there should be D and 5 digits mine only has 4. does this mean it was just one of there earlier fames in the production or am I missing a number? is it may be not a ccm?

any Help will help...

Thanks

i was sand blasting the frame today and found made in en---? stamped on the head tube Im pretty sure it says MADE IN ENGLAND did ccm have frames built in england? is it maybe a raleigh? please help.... thanks

so here's the skinny.

over the years ccm has made/assembled bikes for raleigh/ccm and supercycle (for canadian tire). it could be a ccm made raleigh, it could be a ccm. (identical bikes were marketed under all 3 names)

if it says made in england its probably a ccm made raleigh (made in england assembled in canada)
i had a raleigh canadian that looked very very similar.
IMG_4913.jpg

thanks for all the help. frame and forks are getting primer and first coat today!!! might get to the fenders too still lots of sandblasting to go ill post some pics later

Back