CCM crank replacement

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to remove the race from the crank side of a CCM crank. I got the crank off fine but I have two cranks and the races one one are just nasty while the ones on the broken crank are in really nice condition. The time it would take me to remove the nice race from the broken crank would take less time than polishing and refinishing the nasty one. Any help would be appreciated.

Hey Tim do you have a picture? I have some CCM cranks off the bike. Are yours like mine? I am not sure how to get at that nut because of the dust cover. I would also like to know how to get it off of there. I will let you know if I can figure something out.

driveside.jpg

driveside2.jpg

Yep the exact same!

the start went so well! I was like whoa! I'm getting good at this. Then I got to that race inside the dust cover and I am just baffled. the one race is of course a reversed thread so it's the opposite of righty tighy, left loosey. So I thought maybe the same for that one. The thing is, GETTING TO IT! Ughhh! and if you can it seems nice and toooyt. I spent a whole day going to two flea markets and getting covered in rust and dust and old oil scavenging through the tool tables. The one place had a a few CCM bike wrenches and so I thought for sure maybe they would have a wrench hiding somewhere to deal with the crank case, I even came close to one wrench that I thought would do the job, but the one end was too big, the other too small. The strange thing about those darn wrenches is they deal with every bolt except the chain tensioner bolts, seat post bolt( hard to reach), and the two races inside the crank, actually the whole crank. There has to be a tool or tools for it. I called Jamie McGregor of the vintage CCM group who I am family acquaintances with and haven't heard back,yet. I might tomorrow. be nice to get my hands on a CCM maintenance manual.

The thing is no standard tool works.They can't get inside the walls of the dust cover. I think this is how old Bike Shops back in the day kept a business j/k. But I am sure a person could buy one also. I think they are the golden keys.

Thanks for the links Tim! I will have to try my channel locks in there again. I tried them earlier but couldn't get a good grip on that nut. Were you able to get yours off? I saw an add for oddball customs in the last ol school rodz but never got around to checkin' out their site, pretty sweet looking cars.

Hey RDS,

I am going to give it the college try this evening, looks like you have to brace it with your foot or better yet a vice. I too was not successful but as you can see from the picture it's doable. My other concern was bending the dust cover. But I mean if this dude can do it....must be doable, I think I am scared of scratching the race all to rat poo.

Yeah looks interesting, about Odd Ball Kustoms, nice to have that happening here and not having to look out to the west coast for it.

I usually use a really big crescent wrench on those. Although I don't think any of the american bikes have a dust cover that big. But the big crescent is a bit more stable than channellocks. I do use channellocks sometimes, when I cant find the other wrench!!! ~Adam

OK, I did it! for the one, the other one seems pretty solidly on and I have it soaking in some Giggy. W40 will work of 3in1 or tuepentine or gas. Whatever smell you like the most.

Well the one is not budging! I have the wounds to prove it! I have tried turpentine, 3in1 and Jigaloo....I got the crank dry from the person who gave it to me and the rust seems to have welded the nut to the crank...I dunno is there anything out there that can make this nut move?

I can tell if the crank is in condition, RDS, that race comes off very easy, from what I can see your's were in grease and that's good.

Latest posts

Back