*** CARTBOARDTRACKER ***

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ** CARTBOARDTRACKER ** lost my virginity to an anglegrinder

Those were brackets for:

1- a dynamo (or generator? What's the right word?)
2- a 1970's state of the art anti-theft device ; - )

Heheh... Just a flimsy lock. Back then, if one wanted to steal a bike, you just lift it a few inches of the ground, start running, and drop the bike. The lock popped open, and voila... Since then heavy locks were needed on all bikes in Holland. From our family 15 bikes were stolen in less then 5 years...

herr_rudolf said:
I spend half a day in the shed, and what do I have to show? ...a small curly ending on my fender.

But a very nicely done one, that is! :D
Looking good! The anglegrinder is a good ally! :wink:

Yepp, those are the tracks of the anglegrinder! A noisy little fellow often seen roaming around in sheds and workshops.:D If you want to cut a little time smoothing out the cuts next time, try a flapdisc on the grinder. Frrrrrrrr tadaa!! :)

and of course you cant forget your trusty metal file! :D

Re: ** CARTBOARDTRACKER ** living up to it's temporary name...

haha, thanks guys.

sport_54.jpg

^ Cartboard mock-up...

Because of it's rather tall (adult-sized) frame I wanted to make a tankplate for this bike. Theoretically it'll lower it optically. But the main reason ofcourse is making the bike look like it came from another era. It has to look racey with a definate hotrod vibe...

I've just started figuring out how to mount the eventual plate and came up with these brackets, made out of aloy U-profiles. I hope just two of 'em screwed in the top-tube will suffice... I REALLY want to use only the existing mounting holes on the bike, keeping bracketry to a minimum.

sport_53.jpg

sport_55.jpg

sport_56.jpg

Re: ** CARTBOARDTRACKER ** living up to it's (temporary) name...

Some progression on the tankplate.

sport_58.jpg

^ I had to chissel off some parts of the wood to flush-fit the brackets. I was hoping to use just two of 'em but found out that wasn't possible without the plate being wobly. Ah well... Could be nice, but no harm done.

sport_60.jpg

sport_59.jpg

sport_62.jpg

sport_61.jpg

^ I used some rubbercovered metal straps to fasten the low points of the plate.

sport_64.jpg

sport_63.jpg

sport_65.jpg

^ The bike as it sits now. Can't wait to see this bike all in red primer. Have to make up a text or image to put on the plate. That should be fun... I hope to be able to smooth out the woodgrain. Otherwise I'll make some thin covers out of plastic, so I'll be able to choose a different look whenever I want.

One day, you will build a bike without any speed wedge styling elements, or bracket/strap devices, and people will ask "Who are you, and what have you done with the real Herr Rudolph?" This one LOOKS as fast as the "bullet" IS. :)

deorman said:
One day, you will build a bike without any speed wedge styling elements, or bracket/strap devices, and people will ask "Who are you, and what have you done with the real Herr Rudolph?" This one LOOKS as fast as the "bullet" IS. :)

heheh. Thanks ...I think. But wait till you see it in color!

sport_66.jpg

^ All primer red, or...

sport_67.jpg

^ All primer red with a black rack, but...

sport_69.jpg

^ Eventually I want to paint the bike in this icky color, after I've ran it in primer for some time...

I like the "icky" color myself, as far as the red is concerned, black rack and tank, w/red logo would look pretty awesome.

deorman said:
I like the "icky" color myself

Me too! This bike is going to be awesome! I like how the bottom line of the tank makes the bike look like it's slightly tilted forward, looks speedy! :D

Re: ** CARTBOARDTRACKER ** 2nd base with the anglegrinder..

sport_70.jpg

^ This grinding is getting kinda fun! I hated the square brackets on my rack so I wanted to make em round to fit the washers I used. And now it looks like this:

sport_71.jpg

^ I cleaned, and sanded the rack and gave it a coat of primer. I realized I didn't took any 'before' -shots and hadn't been taking detailshots before because of it being so ugly... This'll have to do:

sport_72.jpg

sport_73.jpg

Eventually this rack will be flat black.

Galtbacken said:
deorman said:
I like the "icky" color myself

Me too! This bike is going to be awesome! I like how the bottom line of the tank makes the bike look like it's slightly tilted forward, looks speedy! :D

Patience my friends, patience...
Eventually this bike WILL be this icky color : - )

And yeah... I'm happy with the lines of the tank. I was a bit worried that the rack was too much level for my liking, but when I held a ruler against the upper line of the rack I knew the tank would be tilting in the right angle.

Re: ** CARTBOARDTRACKER ** 2nd date with the anglegrinder...

Those brackets look so much better when rounded off like that! You've got an amazing eye for details!

Re: ** CARTBOARDTRACKER ** 2nd date with the anglegrinder...

N8NBOX said:
wow...I never thought how much of a difference something so simple as rounding off a couple of brackets would make....fantastic work.

Thanks guys. It's true. With some detail adjustments, you can make the parts as if they really belong there. I kinda like a whole lot of standard mountingholes/brackets. It makes your creativity run wild, altough in the contours of an existing bike.

** CARTBOARDTRACKER ** suddenly, my bike turned red...

sport_89.jpg

Last day of more or less sunny weather in Holland made me pick-up some spraycans to paint my bike with oxide-red primer. You just can't go wrong with that stuff. I tested it first on my frontfork as you all have seen, and today was the right time to do the rest. Ofcourse there was the usual preparation of de-stickering wich I had to do with sandingpaper. Then some more sanding. Followed by sanding... I'm a very impatient guy. Therefor I didn't want to take off the chain, sprocket, crancks, seat, neck, and handlebars.... It has it's positve side, but definately also its negative side... First coat of primer showd signs of not cleaning good enough... So more sanding and coats of primer followed. A repeating process untill I was satisfied. All in all, it turned out pretty good, if I say so myself...

sport_76.jpg

sport_77.jpg

sport_78.jpg

^ I've used some spraycan-filler to seal the wood. Turned out okay.

sport_79.jpg

^ I wanted to make the rack black, so I did. I opted for a matt black, but it came out semi-gloss... Maybe I like that better. Don't know yet.

sport_80.jpg

^ Eventually I want to make different tanksides so I can change em when I feel like it, so it wasn't important to make this centerpiece smooth as glass as it will be covered-up with screw-ons...

sport_81.jpg

sport_82.jpg

^ funny... With the flash my tires look like whitewalls!

sport_83.jpg

^ This is a more realistic view of the bike

sport_84.jpg

sport_85.jpg

sport_86.jpg

sport_90.jpg

sport_87.jpg

Next stop:

- 2 extra straps to fasten the tankplate. Just for looks, and maybe to incorporate the brakeline.
- I have some ideas for a 2nd seat. So, instead of groceries, I could pick upsome girlies with this thing...

; - )

Back