Cape Cod Rat Rod !

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all from Cape Cod my name is Rick ,I recently came across this bike at a yard sale the nice older gentleman said he is tired of walking around it and wanted some one to get some use out of it. He says it is a Western Flyer and the badge seems to confirm that I have a serial number of "MG 4250" on the bottom of the crank housing
it has a Ludell seat Made in U.S.A

A front hub that reads "New Departure WL" Made in the U.S.A.
The rear hub reads "THE MUSELMAN HUB-BRAKE OI" Cleveland Ohio, Made in U.S.A
The front tire reads " CORDOVAN Deluxe Made in U.S.A."
Everything I can read on the bike says Made in the U.S.A. Yet the gentleman I acquired it from said he bike was Made in England , So this behooves me to say the least. Why would a bike made in the UK have so many Made in USA parts on her?

Can anyone here perhaps help me out with identifying the year and the company that may have made this bike?
Did it ever have a tank are there parts missing off the forks? like the spring set up if there even was one on it that is?
Any help would be greatly appreciated I've waited a long time for a bike like this and it seems to be in pretty good shape
Sincerely
Rick
A.K.A. Jumpa

3JDREuW.jpg

qM1AykH.jpg

csr05xE.jpg

bytokvN.jpg

I took the brake lever off because I saw a hint of shiny chrome and thats where I started I cant believe how clean that hub shined up it was completely black with caked on grease and grime a few squirts of the "CLP" and it practically wiped right off ...with a bit of toothbrush action and some elba grease :shock:
"that stuff destroys tough grime"
Any ideas on company and year folks?

UK? Don't think so. The tabs on the frame near the rear axle are for a drop stand. That says middle to late 30's for a balloon tire bike. The seat tube on the frame is curved. That's a feature you usually see on Elgin bikes. Nice bike. Gary

The sprocket which looks original makes it a Murray made bike so that is an American bike. Also most of the other Countries bikes used 3 piece cranks while we used a 1 piece.

Thank you guys for this awesome information !!!
Does the serial number tell you guys anything it reads MG 4250
5Gjxj3R.jpg

nHAuVVV.jpg

First thing is Id like to thank all who answered Thank You very much for taking the time to look over my bike .
I was also wondering if that tail light or red reflector is stock on these bikes .
Ive never seen a diamond shape cut reflector before crazy coolness
U0EaGue.jpg

Definitly a prewar elgin. Not sure who made Elgins, but they sold at sears, also under the JC Higgins name. Thats a nice bike. They do make tanks for that frame, not sure if it had one though.
Johnny

Looked at your pics again. Your bike looks like a base model (no tank,light,rack). Also the chainguard is missing, could've been an aftermarket one as yours is badged as a western flyer. I'm guessing your bike as a 36 to 41. It is in amazing shape and the rear reflecter is awesome. Enjoy it and ride it.
Johnny

Nightrider said:
Definitly a prewar elgin. Not sure who made Elgins, but they sold at sears, also under the JC Higgins name. Thats a nice bike. They do make tanks for that frame, not sure if it had one though.
Johnny
Actually, Elgin was just a brand name for Sears. Murray Ohio actually made the bikes, starting around 1938. Sears used the Elgin name from 1908ish to 1946ish. There were a very small amount of postwar Elgins made. The JC Higgins name was used for their whole sporting goods line, including rifles and luggage! They phased out the JCH name after 1963, though they did revive it for a 90s retro cruiser. Murray remained Sears' main supplier through the 70s, though Sears also sourced bikes from Westfield/Columbia, Monark, CBC/Ross, and the import lines from Austria and West Germany during those years. -Adam

Thanks again Adam and Johnny you guys are guys amazing. I have tons of history to learn about it ! Thank you very much.
I try to ride it but at almost 6'4" and 285 lbs its a little small for me...my knees keep hitting the bottom of the handle bars!!
Are the handlebars able to go up via the goose neck?
If I can raise them I may be able to ride her then.

So far all I've done is clean up the rear hub I took off the rear fender, worked some mink oil to the seat " it was some kind of dry. I can't believe it didn't tear just from being so dry I hit it with some CLP around the gooseneck put an adjustable on the neck and the slightest pressure and it unscrewed as if it was a week old
same thing with the drop in bolt gooseneck I figured sure as sunrise that bolt would fight me ,but it also came out like magic.
I do not know if I should restore it or what I haven't much of a reference point to go on. I shall keep digging

You guys are helping me immensely If my questions became to much Just say so.
I was curious about the tank as there is a wear spot on the side of the badge and no holes or anything on the fender as if there was ever a light so she must have been just a plain jane

Not likely, unless they only made 50 bikes that year. That reflector is extra cool because it's glass, not plastic. Plastic was rare when that thing was made. 6'4', 285, you need a laid back seat post. Do a search, you'll see what they are good for. Gary

Looking at your first pic, I think you have a laid back post, just adjusted forward instead of backward. Maybe the seat attachment can also be adjusted back on the seat post to get it as far to the rear as possible and hopefully the post is long enough to raise it up 6 or 7 inches also.

Yes the seat post is bent like a #7 facing forward , darn good thing it is solid steel as well
or I may very well have of snapped that thing like a dried piece of driftwood the first time
I sat on it if it wasn't I love the way she rides the springs in the seat work quite well
" Top is a made of da rubber da bottom a made of da spring" :)

I'm gonna do what wildcat suggested and try to spin it around then it aims the seat toward the sky
however I think I may be able to adjust the clamp under the seat to compensate for the angle to the dangle.

What do they call the rear stand that is suppose to be on this bike?
that clamps to the rear fender its on the tip of my tongue
I'm going to try and find one or fabricate one depending on cost
I just can't remember what the name of it is!
Thanks again
Sincerely
Jumpa

your bike may not have had a rear drop stand. I have a nearly identical bike and it came with a bolt on stand which appears to be made for the murray frame.
The design of the kickstand clamp is such that it would not work on any other frame design so I'm assuming they were phasing out the drop stands and moving toward
kickstands it's just that the frame design (rear drop outs design) hadn't caught up yet.

Note that the paint on the drop stand ears is unscratched, like your frame..

What year is this one you have !? Awesome looking ! your right This bike was painted buy someone it looks like they didn't finish either, there are big time holidays on the frame but then again who knows I do not see any extra holes in the fenders from a light or a hanger in the rear for a stand

I am only 5'9 and about 185 and I always like to turn around my 7 post seat bar. Pushing the seat back a couple of inches helps. I put it in a vise, heat it up with a torch and bend it to get the angle I want sitting on it...a vise, a torch, a metal pipe to slide over it to bend...wa..la...! perfecto! You might also want to add an extended neck to give you "knee room". A neck extension is also available to raise your bars up..up..
Center stands are becoming hard to find. I believe "Memory Lane Classics" make a reproduction one that looks good...leave it out and let it rust a bit...before using??

Greetings from just north of Boston, Jumpa. Nice find! I would leave it just the way it is! Patina, baby!! My bikes have that old look too and it's such a cool feeling cruising around town riding something 70+ years old! Enjoy! We'll have to cruise the cape!

Latest posts

Back