cant get my nut off......

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow so thats kinda a dirty title. anywho. im trying to take apart the ol ladies bike to rebuild for her, its a 73' murray monterey.

so heres the problem...
i got me a few cans of pb blaster and wd40 and sprayed the crap outta the nuts on the crank. got the first big nut off, whooo!!! got the washer seperated from the crank, whoo again! but heres the kicker. the last nut that has the bearing cone on it only has two flat spots on it and the rest of it is rounded. what can i use to get that d@mn thing off there? ive read that a big wrench would work, well the biggest wrench i have is about ( ) <---(thats my measurement) too small for the nut and i dont have a crescent wrench big enough. im borderline ready to just cut the freakin thing off but id rather save the ... chewin from the misses. any help would be sweet

Easy E

can you drill into it a little...or cut a slot with a dremmel?? Then back it out with a tap...

markm thats actually not a bad idea cuz the nut itself is pretty rusty and crappy so ill probably just buy her a whole new bearing set and nuts. thanks for all the assistance everyone. as for johnny nightwolf, your right you can never have too many tools!! EVER!

The round ones usually have a slot that youcan use a punch to drift it off with. Had one like that on a Rollfast BB like below, yours might be obscured by rust

IMG_0633.jpg

Back