Can't decide which way to go with this one

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A while back I started a thread about sentimental bikes. Well, this is the bike I was talking about in that thread. My pappaw used this bike to get to work and back, and around town, before he started driving sometime in his 30's. My dad restored it a while back for him and he used it once again to get around town before his health started degrading. I'm finally ready to get started on it, but I don't know which direction I want to go. Dad took the bike down to bare steel when he restored it, so sanding down to the original paint isn't an option. I would love to have some patina just as a symbol of the character my pappaw had, but I'm not certain how to pull that off. The paint that's on there now needs to go, it's chipping and scratched in several places.

scuff the paint up in places, knocking off the loose bits, and then satin clear it?

Bob the rear fender, ditch the front, and finish it with your choice of bars, seat and tires?

I thought about something along those lines. Also thought about stripping it completely, and doing a forced patina on the bare steel then clear coating. If I go that way I think I'd polish the crap out of everything else, and look for a set of whitewalls.

I got started with the tear-down over the weekend (and completely forgot to take any pics). Started applying paint stripper Saturday and as I was scraping the gunk off I notice pin stripes on the fork and chainguard. Unfortunately I had only checked the frame for original paint, and when it wasn't there I assumed the rest of the bike was the same way. Just about made me sick to see the original stuff go away.

So now I'm thinking I should try to bring this one back to life as close to the original fashion as I possibly can. Need to find me a nice brick red paint. I don't know if I can pull off the pin striping, though. I might know a couple of people I can con into trying.

All the chrome parts are soaking in vinegar now.

jonathan creason said:
I got started with the tear-down over the weekend (and completely forgot to take any pics). Started applying paint stripper Saturday and as I was scraping the gunk off I notice pin stripes on the fork and chainguard. Unfortunately I had only checked the frame for original paint, and when it wasn't there I assumed the rest of the bike was the same way. Just about made me sick to see the original stuff go away.

So now I'm thinking I should try to bring this one back to life as close to the original fashion as I possibly can. Need to find me a nice brick red paint. I don't know if I can pull off the pin striping, though. I might know a couple of people I can con into trying.

All the chrome parts are soaking in vinegar now.

For future reference, Easy Off oven cleaner will also take off paint but does so more gently so you can monitor what's underneath it. Check out my build thread on RaTornado I did this to it trying to save the original paint and ended up with a cool patina look (Let it sit for too long).

Well, I've had a lot on my plate over the past several months and this bike has been on the back burner for a while. I'm finally settled, and ready to get to work. Everything has been stripped down, and I've painted the frame and forks. Started off gunmetal gray, but I wasn't digging it so I went with the fire engine red. Got a layback post on the way to make it a little more comfortable. Trying to decide on the saddle. I'm not crazy about straddling a Lay-z-boy, but I don't want to sink a ton in the build right now. May just suck it up until I get some more income.

I've done a poor job with keeping up with this build, but I'm about ready to call it done. Ended up bobbing the rear fender, adding a layback post, and swapping out the saddle for a Person. This is going to be a Christmas gift for my dad, so I finished with hours to spare.

Argh, photobucket mobile is impossible to use

Latest posts

Back