Cannot Mount My New Seat...Need Clamp Ideas...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
So I'm working on my 60's Western Flyer bike. The seat post tube is made for the 13/16 post. The stock post shrinks at the top and the stock seat has a much smaller clamp built into the seat.

I bought a brand new Brooks seat, but the clamp it came with is for a 7/8 inch post. I cannot swap the clamps aroud because the smaller one (that fits my post) is not big enough to fit inside the seat properly. I checked a few older Schwinn middleweights my friend has and the seats and posts are all the same way.

Surely somebody has figured this out. As I see it, the only solution is to have a custom seat post made...13/16 bottom and 7/8 top. Is there an easier way???

Thanks,
Dan

i may just have a seat post here you can have. ill get ahold of you tomorrow with some pics and measurements of the pones i have here im not going to use.

Blackchop, let me know what you find. Looks like what I need does exist.

Kansas Jack, that looks like what I need. Thanks for showing me that! I'm only a few hours from Salem, Ma but I think paying the other shop a few bucks to ship might be cheaper than gas money.

Thanks,
Dan

Danimal , i do not have one. all i have herte are a couple of bent style bars and they are not the correct size you need.

sorry. wish i could help you out.

:(

I tried to find the shims needed to use the 7/8" clamps, but could not find them anywhere. They used to be readily available because all the old schwinns are 13/16". I want to keep the Schwinn posts on my bikes and don't want to use the Wald posts. My uncle had some gas pipe that he cut for me with a slit in it. I haven't actually mounted and used it, but it is the right diameter on the inside and outside, so i don't see why it wouldn't work.

The funny thing to me is that they still make 13/16" posts, but you can't get the clamps (which wears out before a post will) or the shims.

Good choice on the Brooks, I think that is what I am going for when I get my projects together.

Back