Can you straighten a bent sprocket

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am messing around with my project bike while the weather is nice, got ready to install the crankset and I noticed my sprocket is bent. Is there a easy way to to fix this or is it even safe, or do I need to save up and buy a new one? I hope I dont have to get a new one thats going to be even longer before I can ride cause I'm poor lol. Any advice is appreciated thanks in advance.

Poorman

If it's a steel sprocket, then it can be straightened, alloy or aluminum may crack. The way I've straightened them is like truing a wheel.
With the chain off the sprocket, I spin the cranks to see how and where the bend is. I use the chainstay as a guide. Then I gently tap the sprocket with a mallet until it spins true. I've also used a crescent wrench jaws to make slight bends to correct them.

We had a couple riders collide with each other and go down. One of the bikes ended up with a bent sprocket. We used a crescent wrench to straighten it... Still riding with the same sprocket many years later

If you use care you can bang it with a deadblow hammer on or off the bike. I prefer to take them off, lay them flat against the concrete and pound it. Metal has memory and if you are careful this can work very well and easily. If you choose to leave it on the bike try to straighten it like you would a bike rotor. See where its bent by spinning the cranks with the chain off and tap it back into place.

I third the crescent wrench method. Have done it several times. Find the 'off' spot, clamp the wrench on it, and lightly pull using the leverage of the handle. Very similar to truing a disc rotor

Back