Can You live live with only a bicycle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the first week that I have used my bike exclusivly as my main transportation. It has been a lot easier than I thought it would be. It has only been taking roughly 10 minutes longer to get to work than driving and so far I've save about $30.

Chris

Have to say no to the question.......... :|

Could I live without cars? Yes, I've done it before, and for over a year. When my wife and I were first married, and our first child wasnt here yet, we used motor scooters (Yamaha Vino for her, Eton Beamer for me) and our bikes. Put the insurance back on the Isuzu Trooper as soon as my wife was pregnant.

I can see that most people who answer this question say NO Because they Dont want to make any adjustment or want to figure out how to do things without the expense of a Vehicle.
I left work at 5pm on bike and with the help of public transportation I was in Guadalajara Mexico 12 hours later. Same from New York to California. Things can be done. I carry a Backpack on my Bike everyday. Has an Umbrella in it.
Now I am not saying it is Easy. But it can be done. There are times I was caught in the middle of nowhere on a bike and a Rainstorm started right then. That was not cool. But I have ridden 8 miles to work and 8 from work everyday. Much Cheaper than a Car. There are also times I Bum a ride. But I Do save money not using a car.

Hats off to those of you that can pedal every day..

I'll have to say No for the following reasons
1. I can't carry my carpetry tools on a bicycle.
2. Logistically, there is no way to ride 20 miles or so each way to work.
3. Cant plow the driveway with a bicycle.

Would it be nice to be able to only rely on a bike, shure.

Prior to the job change from desk job to carpentry, my TW200 accounted for about 1/2 the overall miles I logged every year. It has a soda crate on the back mounted to a custom steel rack that is good for holding lots of stuff. The TW gets nearly 90mpg if I baby it or 70mpg if I play a bit. I wish I could use it more these days but it's just not practical when you have to haul tools and pick up kids from school..

I wish I could, I would, but I can't 90 miles round trip to work,toolkit, two kids and 5 different sports

I do every day. I take the kids to daycare both ways with an instep trailer 5days a week and for everything else. I love riding

Sent from my LG-MS910 using Tapatalk 2

During my collage days I spent one summer break there working on campus. Since most of my friends with cars went home for the break I had only my bike to get around. Only regretted it once when I got caught in a rain storm on my way home from the grocery store.

big kountry said:
In today's rising gas prices the world in which we live will soon be forever changed. In this ever changing world who will survive most people live by their automobiles. How will this work who will triumph an Will America rise above Obama's destruction of our way of life?
:roll:
People who desire fuel prices to rise so much that cars are rendered practically useless, are simple-minded adolescent anarchists who have no idea what they are wishing for. If cars became economically unsustainable, then most modern conveniences (i.e., luxuries) that they take for granted would also. And the comedy of it all is that these people are perfectly free to go live in a country that does not have such things (such as remote areas of very poor countries) but 99.999% of the time, they will not.

...Meanwhile, the people emaciated people wandering the wastelands of Africa--the people actually living without modern conveniences--are never the ones telling us how evil modern technology is; they're just hoping their next kid doesn't die of measles or go blind from a bot fly.

My question to you is can you live with only your bicycle?????
I could get to my job (a grocery store just 1.5 miles away) but I suspect most of the stuff we sell now would stop getting there pretty quick.

To answer the question directly, could I live (survive) with only a bicycle, yes. I have my cargo trike that is rated for 500 lbs, it can and does haul whatever I need to haul fairly easily. I haul groceries with it and it seems like overkill. If stores shut down I could mount a gun rack on it and I'm sure a deer could be hauled with it without too much fuss. Not to mention a gun rack would look awesome on it! Especially if i painted it camo and turn the front into a deer blind, I could also haul a bunch of traps for rabbit and squirrel, a fishing pole, tackle box, and cooler for fish, and a chainsaw for firewood. As they say a country boy can survive!
image-55.jpg

On the other hand, would I enjoy doing it every day? No. I might enjoy it for the first week but it would get old quick especially with the winters here.

Think of the benefits. The great women who would want to meet and greet the guy who rides only a bike every day. Hmmm Wow I just remembered..... Hey you said you can haul 500 lbs on that bike! :D

honestherman said:
Think of the benefits. The great women who would want to meet and greet the guy who rides only a bike every day. Hmmm Wow I just remembered..... Hey you said you can haul 500 lbs on that bike! :D
I've been engaged for two years. I have no problem with women, and big girls need loving too. When you learn to not be so shallow and judge a woman by her character and not her body I'm sure it will happen for you. :wink:

Sorry man, I just said it in fun. I saw the big cargo area and the 500 lb capacity statement. Shallow Hal a funny movie. But he had a VW Convertable not a Cargo Bike. Again the possibilities of a Bike. :D

honestherman said:
Sorry man, I just said it in fun. I saw the big cargo area and the 500 lb capacity statement. Shallow Hal a funny movie. But he had a VW Convertable not a Cargo Bike. Again the possibilities of a Bike. :D

No problem bro, actually I had a VW drop top too, I still kinda miss it but the previous owner really screwed it up. :roll: BAD

When I got it... :oops:
P7120089.jpg

Some people should be banned from using spray paint...THIS is why:
P7160100.jpg

The burlap used to be on the dash. :roll: :oops:
P7160098.jpg

Started to do something cool with it but I gave up and sold it.

P7120092.jpg

Reading this post. I wonder what bike would be best, If you used it for daily transportation and only had a bike. I have seen Cruisers, BMX, Cargo Bikes, Trikes, Bikes with Trailers.
My choice would be a 21 speed bike with rack on front and back, I would also want a 2 wheel trailer. This way I could haul stuff on regular bike and if I needed to haul bigger stuff I would use my trailer.
What would you use?

Thanks for the pictures of the VW. Looks like it would have been a fun car to get around town.

outskirtscustoms said:
honestherman said:

No problem bro, actually I had a VW drop top too, I still kinda miss it but the previous owner really screwed it up. :roll: BAD

When I got it... :oops:
P7120089.jpg

Some people should be banned from using spray paint...THIS is why:
P7160100.jpg

The burlap used to be on the dash. :roll: :oops:
P7160098.jpg

Started to do something cool with it but I gave up and sold it.

P7120092.jpg

Back