can I save this S2 rim?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey, so after prepping and painting this rear 20" S2 rim for my '66 Coppertone Sting-ray
I discovered a decent size warp in it, is there way to save it ! Id hate to throw it out
or pay hi dollar fees :cry: :cry:

any suggestions, ideas,

heres a pic, doesnt show the bend really but (its by the valve stem) man, does it look kewl
P4010322.jpg

do you mean is it rideable? sure the on on my ray is worse than that and i ride it all over just ask the local boys. now if you wanted to make it perfectly round again i would say no

karfer67, thanks for replying
i suppose it is ridable but dont know if the wobble will be bad at high speeds
the pic doesnt show the warp, its is pretty bad,but i guess itll be allright

id like 2 see ur guys -Rays

66olds98 said:
Yea, thats nothing, I have ridden and seen way worse.

.... really? well like i sed, the pic doesnt show the warp, but ill make due
havnt put it fully together so dont know if it will really affect the ride that much

if warped you mean the rim is dented i would say yes. my s7 wheels have a couple dents around them and i ride on them almost every day

Definitely is rideable... The rear rim on my murray has similar dings and dents itself and is even missing a spoke!... She rides fine. (btw I like the red!)

ScurryMurray said:
Definitely is rideable... The rear rim on my murray has similar dings and dents itself and is even missing a spoke!... She rides fine. (btw I like the red!)
hey thanks man, its more than a ding, its bent inward on one side amd outward on the other

well ima ride it as is, FCK It!

it probably just needs a good truing

depends on the shop, most will do it for 20 to 40 bucks. But you need a truing stand, and those are expensive.

Looks salvageable. Loosen about 5 spokes 'til they're almost falling off, where it's bent, on the side it's bent toward. find a flat hard spot on the ground, where it's parked in your photo is dandy. Support the opposite side and 2 other spots about 90 degrees from there with a couple of pieces of 4x4 scrap, or something similar. Have a friend stand on the supported, unbent side to hold it, while you push down on the bend, try leaning on it with the heel of your hands first, if it won't go, it's time for the feet. If you can get it pretty close, it can be trued up with a spoke wrench. As it is now, it would probably go out of round. There are other methods, including completely disassembling the wheel and clamping the straight part to a table, and some people prefer a rubber mallet instead of pushing.

I took an alloy 26" MTB rim to my LBS this weekend that was bent worse than yours.

Mine did not have any dents in the side of the rim.

$16.50 and 10 minutes and he had it trued up.

BTW: He aired up the tire, and whacked the wheel against the floor once, and then fine tuned it on the truing stand.

Back