Cable Crimping ???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drill a hole the right size in some hardwood, and dip the cable end in some flux and stick it in the hole. . unless u got 1 of these . melt a hunk of an old wheel weight in a spoon and pour it in.... :mrgreen:

yhst-88304367457143_2165_105977289

Your local bike shop should have some of the ends you can buy cheap. Then use a electricians crimper or a pair of pliers to crimp it.

are you talkin about the little zinc dots attached to the end of the wire that hooks to the lever? I've never seen crimp on ones.. :?

scrumblero said:
are you talkin about the little zinc dots attached to the end of the wire that hooks to the lever? I've never seen crimp on ones.. :?

I'm with you, I have never seen crimp on ones either. I have inquired at my LBS and all they have are those things you crimp on the end of the cable to keep it from fraying. I was actually talking about the ones that hook to the lever and those little ones that go into a thumb style 3 speed shifter and I supose some sticks too (Ithink).

Thanks for the help so far.

scrumblero said:
drill a hole the right size in some hardwood, and dip the cable end in some flux and stick it in the hole. . unless u got 1 of these . melt a hunk of an old wheel weight in a spoon and pour it in.... :mrgreen:

yhst-88304367457143_2165_105977289

I think I'm going to try this. So what is that thing anyway? Where? How much?

It is a mini-lead smelter. some people use to make old style lead bullets for reload.

I had a broken cable on my 60 corvette 3 spd, tried the solder thing and couldnt make it work, so I got some 3/32 brass tubing(?) and cut a piece to the right length and crimped w/ electical crimps and it has worked great. S/A 3 spd.had to file it down a bit to get it to fit in the barrel, but like I said it works

Fahrrad said:
It is a mini-lead smelter. some people use to make old style lead bullets for reload.

I remember my dad melting lead on the kitchen stove to make lead fishing sinkers. It was always to coolest thing to watch.

No, the open end. It does look similar to what's in his photo, but I'd be surprised if they don't just pull off. :|
figure-08.jpg

edit: Looking again, the one in Highship's picture looks much more substantial than the part I'm referring to.

rollin rusty said:
I had a broken cable on my 60 corvette 3 spd, tried the solder thing and couldnt make it work, so I got some 3/32 brass tubing(?) and cut a piece to the right length and crimped w/ electical crimps and it has worked great. S/A 3 spd.had to file it down a bit to get it to fit in the barrel, but like I said it works

I tried this with some teeny stanless? tube i got at the hobby store and it works great! and it almost came out lookin like that picture... almost.. :lol:

4-1.jpg

These are pretty standard bike parts, some better than others, but you can find them at any LBS or online.

looks like my brass tube repair, only original..............if you use the soft cable ends they just pull off, and they were too fat to fit into the barrel on the wheel end of the cable, the originals are brass I believe

Back