Building of TubCycle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People have had concern over the tub’s weight. The tub is made out of galvanized metal and weighs less than 10 pounds. The top of the tub will be covered about 45% back with a lid as shown in the picture below. The lid will be able to lift off and on in case I wanted to carry something taller than the tub. We hope to add a small windshield about 4” high and spread about the width of the lid. The lid will fit flat up front and then have a slight bow in the back of the lid. This should give it even more of a side car appeal. This bike wil be riden and anxious to see how well it is going to handle. I have read the stories that it is going to be a total new experience

DSCN0161.jpg

Here is a shot of the rear wheel that is currently on the build. As you will see we did the same to this wheel as we did the front and did not have to lengthen the axle. I have purchased and currently having laced is the new 3 speed hub with disc mount already on the hub. However this current set up works fine and have used this before. I hope this is helpful.

DSCN0154.jpg

Jake Sensi and I were just talking about a side car bike the other night over beers.
That tub makes a perfect sidecar.
Way to go on an awesome build!!!!!

Here is is August 9, 2011 and it is cutting it close to make the debut at Smoopy's bike show in Murfreesboro TN on Sept 10, 2011. But any way we only work on the bike two nights a week and that is Tuesday and Wednesdays. The shop is located 45 miles one way from my house and so last night half way there I realized I forgot my camera. Any way I have it with me at work today so I can take a few shots tonight. The new rear wheel is in with the 3 speed hub, both new tires are on the rims. We have started working on the rear disc caliper mount and finished the chainguard out to where it is two seperate chainguards. We are making progress but it is slow. Thanks for your interest into Tubcycle.

We made alot of progress last night and therefore was in bed fairly late last night but well worth it. The rear disc is now functioning correctly and is in place. We located the gear shifter in the place we think will look the best. I wanted it low on the frame but was just no room(too crowded, busy); however, we believe once we curve and extend the shifter up above the tank it will look cool. I think the neatest thing we did last night was deciding to use my early 50's Shelby seat on the bike. It is just laying on the frame in the picture but well on the way of being mounted now. We have the mounting brackets all figured out in our head so it should be mounted next week. I am probably missing alot of neat details but I think the pictures will speak a lot for themselves. We are getting so close I can smell the end. I hope to make the Redneck Rumble Bike show in Lebanon TN in September. Thanks for your interest and all of the kind words.

DSCN0165.jpg

DSCN0169.jpg

DSCN0170.jpg

DSCN0171.jpg

DSCN0172.jpg

DSCN0173.jpg

You make great bikes, I love the styling and your builds have great details. Ill be watching this one.

:shock: Wow! Those pictures sure say a lot! I want to sit on that seat!!! 8) 8) The bike is going to look awesome even without the sidecar. Can't wait to see the extended, curved shifter. I hope to do the same on one of my builds.

You're right about the riding with a sidecar being different. Years ago I made a little wooden sidecar on a frame made of water pipes, which I bolted to a 20" BMX type bike so I could take my 2 year old son riding. It was weird, in that when I turned 'into' the sidecar-- turning to the right, the sidecar would come up off the ground! Doubt that you'll have that trouble with this one tho........ :roll:

Looking great! Can't wait to see more. Good luck gettting it done for, and to, the Redneck Rumblle show :)

We all know what it is like to be stuck in the mud. Your vehicle is running and your tires are spinning but you are going no where. That is what last night felt like. I had purchased a set of drag bars at the Vintage Baber Days in Birmingham AL and was wanting to use them one day on a bicycle build. We spent the first 2 1/2 hours making them work only to decide we didn't like the way they looked on the bike so we went back to the tall Ape Hangers. I have showed both pictures below so you can make your decision. We worked on the side car and have all the mounting plates in place, we have hammered down the edges to fit the lip and started work on the small windshield. I should have more pictures tomorrow. We also started on the side brakelight and tag holder and should have pictures tomorrow as well. We are going to modify the top rail on the tail section so the seat will move back a little more. I am 5' 8" and it is going to be a little tight on the legs. I had riden it before we started the build and it was okay but something has happen in the build but things could change. Thanks for your interest and comments. PS: to show you some of the great work this shop puts out, check out the 59 Dodge Delivery / Road Racer.

DSCN0182.jpg

DSCN0180.jpg

DSCN0179.jpg

DSCN0177.jpg

DSCN0176.jpg

dude! the bike is killer awesome work! Also, that panel truck is EPIC!!! more pictures of that please!!! :mrgreen:

Another night of going backwards while actually moving forward. We finished the side mount for the tag an vintage tail light from the 70's. The tag is from Wally World. I have scanned this tag to my computer and in the process of updating it to say Tubcycle. But you get a chance to see what it looks like now. I also show the finished work on the tub since we added the vintage windshield. We decided that we needed to move back the vintage seat on the bike and therefore needed to redo the upper tail rail and so off it came and on with a new design and it looked a hundred times better. We will be making a seat mount to mount the seat and then we should be able to start connecting everything up. Until next week enjoy the pictures and as always appreciate your interest.

DSCN0196.jpg

DSCN0193.jpg

DSCN0192.jpg

DSCN0190.jpg

DSCN0186.jpg

I love this build. Way cool!

This is amazing!!! Just the kind of art I love!
Trike: AWESOME
Bike: AWESOME
Tub/sidecar: AWESOME
Dodge: AWESOME!!!

How about mounting a big kick butt light just were the tub´s anchor is? :roll:

Want to see more keep posting!!!

Back