Buildin´a CAJON

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As good as it gets:
180px-Posicion_cuerdas.jpg

No ruler, but give me the numbers in centimetres and I´ll use my superpowers to convert them into inches. :shock: :lol:

I think I have just enough super powers to deal with metric measurements. Anyway, looks like your top, bottom, and sides are made of 3/4" or 5/8" wood, what is the thickness of your front and back? I looked online at a Pearl Cajon today and it looked like it's back panel was as thick as the rest of it.

The back is the same as the front in mine,
3 millimetres thick :lol: (just kiding) 0.1 in thick

Side and top/bottom are 0.9 in thick

I'll have to measure mine, I don't remember what thickness wood we used for the different parts, it was whatever we had on hand. :p
I'd like to build a string one one day, but the snare one works pretty well. It takes some practice to get a consistent sound out of it, but it's cool!

Here's the back of mine, I'd have to open it up to show you the snares inside.
304016_2331749969107_1110486501_32744230_763421727_n.jpg

Nice one Funky! Only snares ha? I´d like to see that.
Measurements vary a lot, haven´t seen same wood thickness or sizes in all tutorials I read, so I did too went with what was in hand.

Added some extra screws to the front side last night, thanks to yoothgeye who made me do a little more research. Apparently the more screws, the better it´ll sound, So thanks pal!! :wink:

Gdcast said:
Nice one Funky! Only snares ha? I´d like to see that.
Measurements vary a lot, haven´t seen same wood thickness or sizes in all tutorials I read, so I did too went with what was in hand.

Added some extra screws to the front side last night, thanks to yoothgeye who made me do a little more research. Apparently the more screws, the better it´ll sound, So thanks pal!! :wink:

Haha, no problem, yeah it seems that with more screws it will be a "tighter" box and produce a more solid sound. I e-mailed my father-in-law and told him all about these things, he's a wood worker and my nephew (his grandson) messes with drums so I thought the father-in-law could make one for him. He also owns an audio/video business, he is good friends with the creator/designer/owner of Worx Audio, so he is going to call him to see if they ever have defect speaker boxes at the factory that he could get his hands on so we could build a couple of these out of his speaker boxes. Worx speaker boxes use 13 ply void free imported plywood and would sound great!

Haven't seen that one highship, now I can´t wait to get home and try to do the same! Thanks for the link :D
And I think you should definitely give it a go.

Found a music store on Monday and got in to see if I could find any cajon to compare mine with, as a matter, of fact there was a Pearl one... boy I got so disappointed at it, I thought "It´s a Pearl, it has to sound great compared to mine"... it dosen´t !!!
For some reason it´s strings run across the centre, and the bass sound is awful, neither my wife or I could believe it!! Plus, the Pearl goes for $ 350 here, and mine costed $ 25 bucks!

Yoothgeye, how is yours coming along?

Gdcast said:
Yoothgeye, how is yours coming along?

I am building it in my mind. My shop had a tree fall into it during the hurricane, until the shop is fixed, I can't do any building in it.

Yeah, I´ve seen the pics :( hope you can fix it soon, good thoughts flying your way from down here :wink:

Back