BUILD OFF #9 RULES EXPERIMENT?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you be in favor of this experiment?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
kram, the only point that I'm trying to make is that a deadline is not a deadline unless there is a consequence for not meeting it. In this case, it's finishing in time for the vote.

Based on your proposal, maybe someone could organize a competition around finishing in a given time frame. That way no voting is involved (more like a race). I don't think it would have as much appeal as the current build off though.

Like you said, 'it's more of a matter of individual perception' so it seems to me that it'll work fine the way it is.

I am curious about this, and will be excited to watch it. Great "discussion" above. Shows a
passion unrivaled. I like it!
For me, it will take time to get in sync with these build-offs, being not used to a deadline for creating a bike in my head. This is why the builds forum is so nice for someone like me.
I just feel lucky to be able to come here to
share cool ideas. Thanks Head Rat!!
:39:

The Build Off is an incentive. I'm competitive. I'm also realistic enough to know my bikes won't win any awards, I build what I want to build. But I do like to see how my bike stacks up against others. I also like to read the comments and suggestions on my bike. I have looked thru the build section here but have yet to put any of mine in there. Yet. Having been here less than a year, this will be my first Big Build Off. The Muscle bike and Winter BO's, were a learning experience for me. So, 1 category or 2, I expect to be in the middle of it.

Carl.

Can we do kids bikes, I have a 50 year old amf, 20" bike that I'm about to start putting together with the help of my son (he is only 6)? Granted, I know we are not going to win any awards with a bike that I'm going to strip/paint and add new parts, but I think my son would get a kick out of it if he new it was going to be in a contest.

Can we do kids bikes, I have a 50 year old amf, 20" bike that I'm about to start putting together with the help of my son (he is only 6)? Granted, I know we are not going to win any awards with a bike that I'm going to strip/paint and add new parts, but I think my son would get a kick out of it if he new it was going to be in a contest.
The short answer is YES...

If it is a bike and it is ridable at the end of the build off then it can be built. So have a blast with your son and build it. Though as a warning you may end up be the only one building it near the end of your build as your son may loose interest fast. Good luck and have fun.

There have been a handful of kids bikes each year and usually one or two father/son/daughter builds too.
Here is one of my favorite photos from last year. Bruce did a super job adding a TwinFlex like rear suspension to this Huffman.
IMG_1642.jpg

^^, Now that is cool! I think if my son were to do that on this old bike the frame would fold. No suspension on my kids bike, this will be used for cruising on the flats of chicago, plus I don't have those skills.

^^, Now that is cool! I think if my son were to do that on this old bike the frame would fold. No suspension on my kids bike, this will be used for cruising on the flats of chicago, plus I don't have those skills.
Just bring the skills you have and have fun...

My personal biggest enjoyment from the Build Off atmosphere is the camaraderie and support. The competitive part does drive me to push my limits both creatively and technically, but I have never approached a build off thinking if I don't place in the top 5 or top ten or top 20 then it's gonna be a failed build. None of us build for the prizes, because even though we pull together some pretty cool prize pots, they are still just token prizes compared to the effort of your build.

I like the simplified rules. Spend more time having fun building your bike and enjoying the other builds and less time worrying about what the other guy is doing or not doing that you don't like.

JUST HAVE FUN!

Well this says it all! Thank you!

I look forward to the build however im conflicted. I was just getting ready to start working on my Bike and now see that the start is may 1st :-/. I am eager to start already.

Bottom line is, when the smaller group of us more extreme custom guys and gals were put into our own category, I thought it would solve the issue. Instead, it kind of made me feel like the unwanted kids off on our own playground, not allowed to mix with the regular kids.

I thought the addition of the “anything goes” category last year was a brilliant initiative too. But like with anything new, it takes time to embrace it…time to seed as a concept!

For instance the very first RRBBO only had 19 entries, but last year there were a total of 81 “traditional” builds and 26 “anything goes” builds, an impressive total of 107 final entries!

I personally prefer the two category competition…it offers everyone a unique playground to play in; thus allowing those with a high level skill-set the freedom to build without restriction, or for those who are not the accomplished welders or painters but have the imagination, to creatively modify and explore with add-ons or bolt-on parts!

I’m sure, once the word spreads about the AG category, the “Traditional” category will take a back seat. Attached are some rather awesome scratch builds to illustrate my point.

I fear collapsing the two categories into one no-holds-barred build off will eventually diminish the interest of many members in the future who feel their skills cannot compete with the professionals and talented painters, body men and welders?

I thought the addition of the “anything goes” category last year was a brilliant initiative too. But like with anything new, it takes time to embrace it…time to seed as a concept!

For instance the very first RRBBO only had 19 entries, but last year there were a total of 81 “traditional” builds and 26 “anything goes” builds, an impressive total of 107 final entries!

I personally prefer the two category competition…it offers everyone a unique playground to play in; thus allowing those with a high level skill-set the freedom to build without restriction, or for those who are not the accomplished welders or painters but have the imagination, to creatively modify and explore with add-ons or bolt-on parts!

I’m sure, once the word spreads about the AG category, the “Traditional” category will take a back seat. Attached are some rather awesome scratch builds to illustrate my point.

I fear collapsing the two categories into one no-holds-barred build off will eventually diminish the interest of many members in the future who feel their skills cannot compete with the professionals and talented painters, body men and welders?
Agreed!

Luke.

At least on this site, I completely disagree that the AG scratch built bikes will eclipse the traditional style. While the pics you posted where awesome bikes, most of them don't appeal to me at all in a "Rat Rod Bikes" sense. There are other sites that cater to that style of build. Here at RRB we embrace all build styles, but we still lean heavily towards old school vintage style bikes. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

When I see the scratch builts, I am in awe of the skills required to successfully build that style of bike, but in no way am I intimidated or left feeling that I (and MANY MANY other RRBers) can't compete with these builds in our build off.

I didn't mean for it to come across that I felt those builds wouldn't represent Rat Rod Bikes well, or that they have no place on RRB. There is always room for MANY styles here on RRB. I was just expressing that for my personal tastes, they don't appeal to me as much as old school vintage style bikes.

Love number 1 and I Like the basman frame with the fork set... A lot of europeans are into this style of bikes(Netherlands & Germany).
Thinkin outside the box is always a eye catcher.

There are a lot of build sites on the internet and also private clubs. Dont forget a lot of people don't speak english, so maybe being part of this great site is not possible... When I show kids RRB site...It's like WOW !!!!
Cruisers galore-

Yeah, I think almost all of those bikes that were pictured above were built somewhere in Germany or Amsterdam.

The language barrier is definitely a part of what keeps this site from being overrun with scratch built stretched cruisers.

For me I see the point of both sides, but there is the few that get thrown into those great scratch builds. They only want modify a frame enough to fit a tire that wouldn't normally go on the frame they want to use. So they either have to except this and know they won't get many votes most likely (which to many doesn't really mater). Or they have to create a bolt on way that they may or may not be totally happy with having to do.

It seems that in the spirit of rat rod bikes welding should be a given. But only in the sense of small mods, not all out anything goes mods or scratch building. But of course this is only my twisted two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back