BUILD OFF #7 DISCUSSION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think if you can barter, you can get some amazing things, I have done and will do alot of trading for things I need, for instance last years build "Wise Guy" here's a breakdown of what it took to build it cost & barter.
1. 39 Columbia frame $60 at a swap meet (money came from selling at the same swap meet)
2. wheels free, ( including the set of Pro Class rims hanging in my buddy's carport)
3. Tires front is off of a parts bike, the rear Carslile slick came of of a set of garden cart wheels, that I got as part of payment for rebuilding a friends JC Higgins
4. Handlebars $5 from a bike wrecking yard I used to visit
5. stem from my stash
6. Seat $20 shipped from a member here
7. rear fender free from my LBS that has closed down a year ago
8. 3 tubes $17
9. three speed hub from my stash of parts
10. spokes for rear wheel $20
11. grips $15 from a harley shop nearby
12. crank and pedals from stash
13. sprocket from member $15
14 chain $7
15,brake lever and caliper off a pocket bike in the stash of parts
16. headlight from ebay and my led conversion $30
17. Lic plate free from a friend, and bracket fabbed from my garage of stuff
18. Paint .....Free from a friend into customizing Harleys
19. copper tubing $20
20. chainguard free from stash
21. Labor that included welding two aluminum wheels together , bartered for (rebuilt his wifes mt bike) paint , I never done a quality paintjob before but my friend I got the paint from guided me on what to do and let me use is area for painting.
22. rack $5
23. kickstand $20 from member here some time ago

Total cash $235
101_9470.jpg

From a stash... From a friend... That's not FREE.. It's priceless! :D

It's all about creativity and creative people seem to always find stashes and friends...

Build on! FUN!

kingfish254 said:
There is another reason why people put fat rims and tires and other new items on their builds, and that is because those items are are cool and the person wants a cool bike. You see it going on during the non BO builds as well. It is not just about trying to spend to most money to get votes. It's not like the grand prize is ten grand or something.
It really starts to sound like a lot of whining when people worry and complain about "$400 wheelsets" and such.

Just "Git to Buildin'" and HAVE FUN!!!!
WHAT HE SAID!! THE JAKE DON'T NEED NO STINKING 400 DOLLAR WHEELSET TO BEAT YOU RICH RATTERS!! JUST NEED SOME WRENCHES,A PHILLIPS,DUCT TAPE AND A BUTTER KNIFE! SO THERE :p PEACE

Jake Sensi said:
kingfish254 said:
There is another reason why people put fat rims and tires and other new items on their builds, and that is because those items are are cool and the person wants a cool bike. You see it going on during the non BO builds as well. It is not just about trying to spend to most money to get votes. It's not like the grand prize is ten grand or something.
It really starts to sound like a lot of whining when people worry and complain about "$400 wheelsets" and such.

Just "Git to Buildin'" and HAVE FUN!!!!
WHAT HE SAID!! THE JAKE DON'T NEED NO STINKING 400 DOLLAR WHEELSET TO BEAT YOU RICH RATTERS!! JUST NEED SOME WRENCHES,A PHILLIPS,DUCT TAPE AND A BUTTER KNIFE! SO THERE :p PEACE
Dang it !!! Butterknife !!! didn't see that one coming :shock:

Peatbog said:
Gold Street Customs said:
Dang it !!! Butterknife !!! didn't see that one coming :shock:

It's Jake. He's likely to figure out how to make something cool out of that butterknife and put it on his bike.
Butterknife Sub buildoff !!!!! 8) :lol: :lol:

I don't care how much money someone spends or what tools they have access too...
Did they use some creativity? Rack thier brain for hours? Does it make me think dang I wish I had thought of that?
Cool is cool, no matter the process...

Cheap is VERY relative. I flip bikes for fun and I am always on the hunt every Saturday morning. For example I paid about $80 for the RRB007 headbadge, but it was with the profit from something that I paid didley for. I guarantee you that by the time I finish my build, I will have made enough profit from other sales to make my build FREE. It don't get no cheaper than that.

By the way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyBIfgj2jrY

I just touched down on the international runway. I am Back in the USA. Rock out to this awesome version by Edgar Winter's White Trash and get to building! The Headstart is about to end, I have a lot of catching up to do.

kingfish254 said:
Cheap is VERY relative. I flip bikes for fun and I am always on the hunt every Saturday morning. For example I paid about $80 for the RRB007 headbadge, but it was with the profit from something that I paid didley for. I guarantee you that by the time I finish my build, I will have made enough profit from other sales to make my build FREE. It don't get no cheaper than that.
I failed to mention how much selling bikes on the side comes into play, ps Welcome Back Kingfish !!!!

Kingfish is home... well, let's see him now get back to work, catch up on everything he left behind, and fight jet lag. Is he a threat... nope! :mrgreen:

I wish I could sell bikes to make build-off money. :(

yoothgeye said:
Kingfish is home... well, let's see him now get back to work, catch up on everything he left behind, and fight jet lag. Is he a threat... nope! :mrgreen:

I wish I could sell bikes to make build-off money. :(

I won't be a threat to anyone for at least a couple of weeks (or months :shock: ).

It ain't all about money either. Heck, BEER RUN was a rolling yard sale!

I spent money on paint today, it cost about $35, so if I subtract the money I've made from selling bikes and parts in the past month then I actually only spent... $35. haha Probably more since I give away so many parts to kids, and I've given away probably 5 rideable bikes in the past couple months and 12-18 parts bikes.

yoothgeye said:
I spent money on paint today, it cost about $35, so if I subtract the money I've made from selling bikes and parts in the past month then I actually only spent... $35. haha Probably more since I give away so many parts to kids, and I've given away probably 5 rideable bikes in the past couple months and 12-18 parts bikes.

But you deal in a different currency with your bike ministry. You are richer than you think!

Youthgeye just don't drink enough beer for buildoff parts.....lol

Haha, my builds are fueled by diet soda. This morning with my paint I bought a bottle of Diet Dr. Pepper and smoke bombs... all for the build. :shock:

yoothgeye said:

Haha, my builds are fueled by diet soda. This morning with my paint I bought a bottle of Diet Dr. Pepper and smoke bombs... all for the build. :shock:

You should use Coke and Mentos for a sidecar cannon.

kingfish254 said:
yoothgeye said:

You should use Coke and Mentos for a sidecar cannon.
Diet soda works better. Those things are so much fun

Latest posts

Back