Build of tall bike 4.0 and "double Trouble"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i fell in love with tall bikeing (even though i took a spill tonight) and i'm building another one. This time double stacked. I also have a problem where my 4th grader is allowed to ride his bike to school but my second grader is not (some weird Hitler rules the school has) so that's where "double trouble" comes into play. I'll keep ya'll posted on the builds and thanks to tlaing1 for the yellow Schwinn frame

me on tall bike 3.0 (my 3rd attempt at a tall bike)

ridingtallbike.jpg

the currant tall bike 4.0)

DSC00755.jpg

and double trouble

DSC00757.jpg

now in regaurd to "double trouble" i'm thinking i could just use a chain ring from a 1 piece 10spd crank am i wrong in thinking this?

Cool stuff. On the tall bike be sure you work out the chain line before you get to far along. Here's 2 I built.

So is Double Trouble going to be a full on tandem where younger son pedals also? Yes the 10 speed sprocket should work. That's what I did on mine.
Where are you going to mount the 2nd set of handle bars?

Double trouble looks like it would make a cool 2 person swing bike.

aka_locojoe said:
Cool stuff. On the tall bike be sure you work out the chain line before you get to far along. Here's 2 I built.

So is Double Trouble going to be a full on tandem where younger son pedals also? Yes the 10 speed sprocket should work. That's what I did on mine.
Where are you going to mount the 2nd set of handle bars?

Double trouble looks like it would make a cool 2 person swing bike.

yea it's gonna be a full tandem, the swing bike idea crossed my mind when i was trying to get it to stand up for the picture so i think i may try that with a couple old BMX's or something. as for the handles bars havn't decided if i'm going to attach the goosneck to the seat post or weld right to the frame we'll see how it comes along. By the way your tall bikes are nice I like how clean they came out.

I would like to ride a tall bike once.

As for Double Trouble. A tandem will be cool. Not many 20" ones out there. Here is my swing bike I made from two 16" bikes similar to what you have setup. A 2 person swing bike would be tough because of the chains.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15605

That double trouble looks like it would make for a hairy downhill racer as is. :shock: Well, maybe some brakes.

well got the new tall bike all tacked together and decided to use a stiffer pipe for the steer tube on the other tall bike. (had to much flex) so i gotta weld that back together. I lost 2 days on it being i woke up 1:30 in the am with flash burn in the left eye (if you haven't had it happen to you avoid at all costs it sucks) well anyway here's the tacked together 4.0 (going to lift the bars up higher) and it's lil brother 3.0 with new tube in place but not welded yet (might cut it down a bike haven't sat on it with the new tube.)

DSC00759.jpg

I love tall bikes, especially "flipped" or "upside-down" bikes. As far as the retinal burns, if you don't have numbing eye drops in the house DON'T WELD. If you have never experienced a flash burn welding, you will, and yes it is realy that bad. Picture a 300 lbs man laying on his back crying like a girl, while my wife is franticly looking for something, anything to stop the pain. Clawing my eyes out was the next option because I was sure it would feel better than what I had going on at the time......... I did find out that regular Lidocain, though not recomended, will stop the burn for about 30 minutes......

Im embarassed to admit this but :oops: .... I have flashburned my eyes several times. And yeah it sucks bad! The first time it happened I went to the ER in the middle of the night and they thought I was on drugs! but the nurse kept asking questions and finally asked if I had been welding earlier in the day... bingo problem solved! a little numbing medicine for the eyeballs and some pain meds and I was good as new in 24 hrs.

Ive had it happen when just tacking something, or when welding in an area that a helmet wont work, or when an auto darkening helmet dont auto darken, it all hurts just the same.

Back