Budget 3G rebuild

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have always liked the geometry of the 3G brand and decided to tackle a rebuild project when I found this bike on Craigs for $25. My plan is to keep it as original as possible with exception of the headset, cranks and bottom bracket. The old bearings, cups and fork crown were heavily scored and pitted as the original crank would hardly turn. Since replacing these parts is a must I decided to upgrade with sealed bearings in both areas for smooth riding. This will be a process as I am learning skills (or accepting my lack of) as I go since this is my first project. Some pics of before and current:

I believe its a very early version of the Isla Vista. No headbadge or decals but it does have a 3G serial. Seen this same color (original blue) 3G bike and it only had 3G decals and a 3 as the headbadge.

That's rad.... amazing that we're already talking about "early examples" of 3G bikes! I vote to keep the OPC, but get a sealed BB set for it....

Okay, I know the first pic of this bike looks really bad with the cheap rattle black paint over original. Interestingly enough, shortly after purchasing I found what seems to be the same bike and color at the beach and I took some pics of what it apparently was when new. If so, it means that it is an older 3G. I checked the serials too and they were very close in numerical order. Some pics:

I am kinda leaning towards the Duplicolor Wheel Graphite paint with Matte clear. I have already prepped, primed, painted, wet sanded and clear coated the forks with Duplicolor wheel paint products which are supposed to be "durable". So far, I am impressed for a rattle can job. Let me know what you think.

Back