brooks seat care

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I just bought a Brooks b.17 standard saddle and a can of Poofide. I was kind of(but not really) suprised that the 40g can of leather dressing was $20. I bit the bullet and bought it anyway. I was wondering though if anyone had ever used anything similar that was a little cheaper? I thought that the western store in town may have something for saddles or boots that may work. Not sure if they would be any cheaper though.

Anyone every use anything else with good results?

I use mink oil (the kind for winter boots)on my Brooks and it does the job pretty well. I slap it on both sides of the saddle and let it soak in for a couple of days and then repeat as necessary. Once the leather has been reconditioned, I shine the saddle up with bee's wax furniture polish which gives it a nice shine but doesn't make the saddle too slippery (no-one likes to slide off the seat when braking). It also stops the mink oil from coming off on your pants...

290265.jpg

This works really well on black/dark brown leather but i would definitely test a small area if you are planning to condition your brand-new honey coloured Brooks Swallow...

I've used moisturing skin lotions like Jergens over the years. I apply it to both sides and give it a few hours to soak in. I've had this seat for 21 years and it's great. Back then, I think it was only 40 bucks new. I figure if it's safe for skin, it should be safe for cowhide. And it costs much less.
v45tsh.jpg

Well I guess I'll just keep it since I opened it a little bit ago. I have this problem with opening things. I just hate seeing a sealed package on a new purchase. Even if it is just some goo you smear on your seat.....lol.

I just got done smearing it on the seat and I am waiting for it to dry so I can buff it off.

I love this seat. I think I may have to save my pennies for a sprung seat for my Spitfire.

Back