Breezer Clone

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this plan to build this bike for some time, I had a old Diamondback Trailshark? That I've been hanging on to for years, it has the slack cruiser style geometry of older cruisers and early mountain bikes. Anyway, I welded the twin laterals in they look ok, I did not braze the bike as I lack the equipment and the skill to do so. Now the frame is even heavier than it was before :)

Breezer Clone by Paul de Valera, on Flickr

My goal was to build this bike using what I had or what I could trade for keeping the cost of the build to around 100 dollars. I also wanted to use era parts and use the same stuff Joe Breeze used on his bike like Phil Wood hubs, 7c rims etc. I wanted to nickle plate the frame and get some much needed practice TIG welding as well.

I built the wheels myself (as I always do :) I had a old set of road wheels shod with Phil Wood hubs 36 hole. I also had a pair of Araya 7c rims that I had re-anodized gold laying around so that was no big deal as my bicycle osmosis is fairly high I had the parts. Tires are Kenda cruiser knobby tires, they are new. The fork is one of my Genuine Bicycle Products Red Menace Forks that I welded some canti bosses on.

At this point I began mocking up the bike with parts from my 80 + bins I have stacked up right now. I pulled several kinds of derailleurs out and what not to do some research on nothing older than 1978. I picked out a few I likes that we're totally trashed. I did not have the Magura brake levers but did some work for a friend on his klunk and traded him a set of Dia Compe levers for the Maguras, so things are moving along!

Breezer clone by Paul de Valera, on Flickr

Tried this bmx stem and cruiser bar, but moved on to the road stem so I had some room for off road riding...

Breezer clone in the works by Paul de Valera, on Flickr

The only thing I'm hung up on is the cranks, the ones I have are French and I have yet to find some smaller chainrings, we'll see on that front.

So the next step is to sand, and sand, and sand, and sand! the frame so it can look good in nickle plate. I can get it plated cheaply of I do all the prep work. So I took the frame with me on a mountain bike camping trip and just went to town on it in front of the camp fire.

Anyway, got the frame back the other day and it came out pretty good!

Waiting for the fork....more soon.

Hey @rev106! Cool bike, been following your build as it happens...

However I am afraid it does not fit the timeframe in the rules of this build-off, work can't have started before Jan 1st... I remember checking out your updates back in December... :(

Please keep us updated with the build though, it is very awesome and exactly the sort of thing I really want to see! :thumbsup:

Luke.

oh well never mind then.

Very cool build! Love the twin bars and nickle plating...keep us in the build loop will you? You've got a great start and I like the direction you are going!

When it's done I'll post some pics for sure.

I'd love to see some close-up pics of how the lateral stays connect with the seat-tube. The "real" Series 1 frames had a big plate of flat steel right there; i always thought that ol' Joe could've found a better way... and i'm curious to see how you did it.

Would have had it done today but I did not have any cable ferrules around the pad and it's my "day off" (insert laugh track here) so it can wait a couple more days to finish.

P1010093 by Paul de Valera, on Flickr

Found some better era cranks in my parts bin....40 ish chain rings will be fine for me. I tried to get some T/A cranks but the only guy I know who had a set "needs" them for one of his 40+ fillet brazed Ritchey bikes he hoarding, and not riding by the way.... So no dice on the cranks for now.

Bicycle808, I took a piece of flat oval tubing and notched it, filing off the edges until it fit in place.

P1010091 by Paul de Valera, on Flickr

Anyway that is near what it is going to look like, I want to swap for an alloy seat post, I'm sure I have one somewhere. Should have it all buttoned up and in the dirt by Friday.

P1010090 by Paul de Valera, on Flickr

Back