Brake lever compatibility question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
OK, I'm the first to admit that any brake (otherthan a coaster) is a bit of a 'challenge' for me. Don't know why, maybe because I never took the time to mess around with them.

Anyway, I'm gathering parts for a build and it looks like I may be venturing into the world of disc brakes.
Can someone out there explain what makes a brake lever 'disc compatible'? I know that with the evolution of cantilever, then V-brakes brake levers have had a return spring added to them. If I'm running non-hydraulic discs, will any set of levers from the cantilever and newer generation work?

Also, I'm considering using 'inverse' levers (mostly because they're different and (with some) I can run the cables inside the bars.

Any brands come in black? Any reviews/opinions of them?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with the ignorant (me).

Cheers,
Dr. T

Vbrake levers and disc brake have the same amount of pull. Older Canti-lever levers won't pull enough. I don't think the reverse levers will have enough pull either as they are usually used with road bike calipers.

How can one tell Vee/Disc brake levers from cantilever/sidepull levers? Say there was a 5 gallon bucket of used levers in front of you. How would you differentiate?

I need to look for some later today and I am serious about the bucket part :wink:

ditchdigger said:
How can one tell Vee/Disc brake levers from cantilever/sidepull levers? Say there was a 5 gallon bucket of used levers in front of you. How would you differentiate?

I need to look for some later today and I am serious about the bucket part :wink:

Good question. I have never been in that situation. Here is what I found elsewhere

- In general, if the distance from pivot to cable anchor is over 30mm or so, it's a v-brake lever

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.ph ... nti-levers

Latest posts

Back