Bottom fork race. How to remove ? Got it. Thanks

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so how do I remove the bottom fork race and do new ones come with a new head set ? Sorry I just discovered the old one looks "SHOT all to heck :) and I have not looked at new head sets yet.
I tryed to get a screw driver under it but it is on there good. Will heat work ? don't want to warp the neck...........

Thanks in advance,
SORCERER

Re: Bottom fork race. How to remove ?

You might be able to carefully drive a cold chisel between it and the crown to get it to pry up. Get a little raise and work around evenly and you will get to a point where bigger pry tools will fit under each side.
I havent had to try this yet, but with old bearing races on 'bigger' toys we sometimes would hit the face of the race with a welding rod and the hardened race would split and pop right off. Dont end up welding the race to the crown or steer tube though.

gcrank1 said:
You might be able to carefully drive a cold chisel between it and the crown to get it to pry up. Get a little raise and work around evenly and you will get to a point where bigger pry tools will fit under each side.
I havent had to try this yet, but with old bearing races on 'bigger' toys we sometimes would hit the face of the race with a welding rod and the hardened race would split and pop right off. Dont end up welding the race to the crown or steer tube though.

Soaked it in some CLR then used you idea.
Got it. Thanks,

Sorcerer

deorman said:
Did you try whacking the screwdriver with a mallet? Works for me every time, so far.

Got it.
Thanks,

Sorcerer

I usually use the screwdriver and hammer method, but these bearing pullers work great too.

bearing-puller-separator-with-mechanical-spindle-561232.jpg

cman said:
I usually use the screwdriver and hammer method, but these bearing pullers work great too.

bearing-puller-separator-with-mechanical-spindle-561232.jpg

Dang ! now that sure would be the easy way
I have another fork that the race won't go past mid way on the tube. Any ideas about that? Seems someone pulled the wedge so tight it expanded the tube.
Sorcerer

Back