(BOTEN) "OUTLAW" ...Withdrawn from the build-off...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great design , awesome bike mate ! The front fork is going to be wicked cool , and that one sided rear end is one of a kind bad to the bone !!!! You Aussies have been know for your one of a kind animals , well bike fits in as well [emoji232][emoji232][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoyed the videos Luke! It really is coming together...looking forward to the next "episode" of The Outlaw!
Glad you are enjoying it OddJob!
Really amazing work there Luke! Are you going to mount the cranks in front of the curved down tube? Will be interesting to see where the seat and cranks end up. You are definitely on a roll...:thumbsup:

+Did you build the front wheel already? Did I miss that part?
Thanks Chad! Yes, I have moved the crank position to in front of the down tube now to give more legroom on the bike, it came out smaller than I had imagined. I built the front wheel between videos 7 and 8, shows up in video 8.
Great design , awesome bike mate ! The front fork is going to be wicked cool , and that one sided rear end is one of a kind bad to the bone !!!! You Aussies have been know for your one of a kind animals , well bike fits in as well [emoji232][emoji232][emoji106]
Thanks G-Matt! I am very happy with how it is coming together, going to be a cool ride!

Luke.

Great to see the scale of the bike with you next to it. It may be low, but it still looks like it will be a comfortable ride.
Great vids as usual!
Love this build!

Oh yeah ! Very nice work,man.
Thanks for all the video.

Hey, I actually could see the play in the axle, when you moved it.:banana:
Glad you are enjoying the videos KJV! Your eyes must be doing pretty good after your surgery if you could see that play in the axle! :113: All fixed now, I put some weld on it and it is solid as a rock.
Great to see the scale of the bike with you next to it. It may be low, but it still looks like it will be a comfortable ride.
Great vids as usual!
Love this build!
Awesome King, I have to admit, the scale took me by surprise, I have been working on drawings and pictures of this thing for over 6 months and today was the first day I realised just how low it is! Glad you are liking the videos!
This is amazing stuff!

I need to be honest, though... I am sitting on the edge of my seat, waiting to see you pull off that insane fork!
:21: Don't fall off the edge!
I am actually thinking I will do the drivetrain before the forks, I need to see how much toe room I need in front of the cranks before the leafspring gets in the way... I would hate to build up the forks and realise I have an interference issue and need to cut them up!

It will happen though! ;)

Luke.

I am actually thinking I will do the drivetrain before the forks, I need to see how much toe room I need in front of the cranks before the leafspring gets in the way... I would hate to build up the forks and realise I have an interference issue and need to cut them up!

It will happen though! ;)

Luke.

I was wondering about that as well. Figured you were already on top of it. Looks like you have room to make it a nice cruiser but will have to get everything in just the right position. I'll bet it rolls real nice on those tires.

Those rear braces are sweet. Way cleaner than anything else added. I too am anxiously awaiting the fork. Now wanna get really complicated? If you need the clearance... bend the leaf into an S instead of a C. Might look cool opposing the down tubes S....

Cheers, Carl.

That mock up next to the C.A.D. really looked good! Good work! I think the size is perfect.
Thanks Kevin!
I was wondering about that as well. Figured you were already on top of it. Looks like you have room to make it a nice cruiser but will have to get everything in just the right position. I'll bet it rolls real nice on those tires.
Provided I do it all in the right order, it should be ok, just means putting some of the fun stuff off until later in the build... It is surprising how good bikes with big heavy tires roll, they always surprise me, hopefully this one will be no different!
Those rear braces are sweet. Way cleaner than anything else added. I too am anxiously awaiting the fork. Now wanna get really complicated? If you need the clearance... bend the leaf into an S instead of a C. Might look cool opposing the down tubes S....

Cheers, Carl.
Glad you like the braces Carl, they were interesting to notch for the welds, but well worth it, they are my favourite part of the build so far! Interesting thought on the spring, hopefully it wont be required though, as I have no idea how I would achieve that... I suppose I could sit the spring in the fire for a while till it gets cherry red...
This is the kind of stuff that keeps me hooked on this site. Projects like this are a work of art.
Thanks Rydr1 and Falstaff!

Luke.

Provided I do it all in the right order, it should be ok, just means putting some of the fun stuff off until later in the build... It is surprising how good bikes with big heavy tires roll, they always surprise me, hopefully this one will be no different!

The sequence is key. Something I wouldn't have thought of. The fork should be the finale anyways. Can't wait to see you cruisin' on this beast.....I mean beauty....:praise:

Oh and I checked out vid 8 again. Front wheel is sweet! So dainty compared to the rear. Don't know how I missed that.:39:

Last edited:
This build is coming along nicely. Can't wait to see it rolling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

No actual progress to show today, but I did spend some time looking through my selection of parts bikes trying to decide on what 3 chainrings will end up getting used on this ride...

I messed around with a few combinations, pulled a bike or two apart to see how their chainrings looked on the frame and was not liking what I was coming up with.

The wheels are 5 simple spokes and I don't want to take that away by adding more patterns and lines than I have to, I already have to add a 6 bolt disc brake front and middle, which by design have 6 curved spokes, so adding more "mess" to the drive just did not look good...

Eventually it occurred that I did have the answer among my parts bikes, it would require thinning out one disc for the front multispeed chain, but would give me 3 matching style rings that would not add or take away anything from the wheel design, and may even help cover the six spokes of the mid-mounted brake disc too... The solid disc BMX chainwheel!

Turned out I had 4 bikes with them, so now I can decide on what sizes to run and where, to give me the base gearing I want, probably 42 front, 36 centre, 42 rear, that will give me lower than standard gearing once you factor in the multispeed freewheel, but still a good range for cruising use!

Hopefully I will be working on the drivetrain tomorrow!

Luke.

Latest posts

Back