(BOTEN) "OUTLAW" ...Withdrawn from the build-off...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rather than mimic an existing wheel like the motomags, why not Lukify the wheels and add some other unique feature or pattern between the spokes.
The name of the bike is Outlaw. Get some old six shooter cap guns and put 5 of them between the spokes.
Actually after saying that, the whole bike sorta looks like a pistol with that leaf spring as the trigger.
Dgenegunlg.jpg

Hmm... How heavy is the frame? Will the rear rim need the extra cross bracing? I really think the whole piece welded in would be a showpiece of a wheel, and it'd be strong for sure. But do you need the strength? Because the extra weight may wear on the single arm/stay...

Carl.

Since you asked for opinions....
I still say do some of these!
1509992_281235695368928_3042243559101268853_n.jpg

Of if you are dead set on the moto-mag look with minimal welding you could do the extra(spokes I guess you'd call them?) with some tubing that is smaller than the thinner part of your oval tubing spokes. Less welding/ finishing and you could still get the about the same look. Notching would probably be a P.I.T.A. until you got the first ones done(then just make a template from those for the rest).
Don't know if any of that helps.

Thanks for all your posts and ideas people! :thumbsup:

Ended up deciding to spoke it up with the 1/2" tube and I can always add the motomag "X" later if I decide to. Going to save the full insert idea for a future build.

This is just a picture update, as it got too dark to video by the time I was done, I will show the progress at the start of the next video anyway...

Started by welding up the spoke holes on the 24" insert rim, bet you didn't know Araya made motocross wheels... :21:

18109820380_148484ab16_z.jpg

Sanded down the welds:

18293705022_469ea1d2d4_z.jpg

Welded the 5 spokes to the hub tube:

18271126996_44a6c1ddb5_z.jpg

Welded the spokes to the rim:

18298985461_313747d417_z.jpg

Marked off the cut lines for the hub tube, they are offset to one side due to the brake disc boss:

18109753318_36a4ce92e0_z.jpg

Cut them. As you can see I now have the overhead lights on, it got dark and stormy:

18297572815_7389653b12_z.jpg

Good warm fire!:

18293704672_953a5ef09b_z.jpg

Hub inserted and tacked, final welding will be done after I check it for trueness:

18111360019_6118a49a89_z.jpg

18109753928_8f34a66ed4_z.jpg

Sat the brake disc on there, this is the biggest MTB disc commonly available at 203mm, but this rim makes it look small! I am liking the way the complex disc looks with the simplicity of the thin spokes, I may decide not to add anything else to the rim:

18297572175_c453c4f15f_z.jpg

18298985731_6fe9b36e9e_z.jpg

That was it for the day, it got really dark and cold, so I packed up, got this cool photo of the fire "tank" after the lights went off though:

18109818660_54a052bee8_z.jpg

Some nice heat there!

Luke.

Swimming back up from the depths of page 3...

Video update 7!

I need some advice, let me know what you think...

Luke.

I like the oval spokes for the front wheel. Might help add some weight to the front end for handling as well. The other welding question I have no experience with, so I will wait for others in the Master Builder class to respond...haha!

I like the oval spokes for the front wheel. Might help add some weight to the front end for handling as well. The other welding question I have no experience with, so I will wait for others in the Master Builder class to respond...haha!
I went with the round spokes OJ, it came out nice!
Check the post further up this page. ^

Luke.

:41: I really love that rim. Less is more y'know o_O

Glen.
I agree Glen, leaning towards leaving it as is. It even looks better without the disc brake, but I like having a front brake if possible...

Luke.

Oops! Always read the last thread before commenting....duh! It looks great, and after seeing the comment with the chopper in the pic, think you went the right route. Just curious, if it's not "true" what do you do? Unweld and refit?

Oops! Always read the last thread before commenting....duh! It looks great, and after seeing the comment with the chopper in the pic, think you went the right route. Just curious, if it's not "true" what do you do? Unweld and refit?
Only one of all the wheels I have made so far has come out needing adjustment, normally they are spot on or so close it isn't an issue, if it is out I just cut the tacks holding the hub ends and move it where it needs to go, the jig makes sure the spokes are correct on the hub sleeve and rim, it is only the hub sleeve to inner hub welds that may be a little off as that all has to be done by eye.

Luke.

really love how these wheels turn out. Looking good!

Id probably say just use 5/8" round tube and make the "X's" out of that to weld into the wheel to get the motomag look. Lots of repetitive work but would be well worth it in the end result.

That is a good idea Danny, I might do that if I decide to add any more to the wheels. I am liking the big open spaces on the wheels at the moment, so I may leave them as they are...

Small update: Dropped some tubing and a template off in town to be rolled for the curve in front of the back tire, pretty sure that will be all I need now to finish the frame up.
I was going to try build the frame with what I had, but for the sake of $20, it is better to do it properly... ;)

Luke.

Thanks everyone!
More progress soon, just have to work out if I am starting with the fork or the frame first, I normally start with the frame, but don't have the rolled steel yet, so was planning out the fork, but will have the steel tomorrow for the frame...

Luke.

Back