Boneshaker - Rideable Bicycle Replicas 48" Boneshaker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish254

BUILD COOL BIKES AND HAVE FUN!!
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
This coolness popped up on FB Marketplace a couple of days ago. I was out to dinner when the seller responded. So after I dropped the wife off at home, I hit the road for a 5 hour round trip late night drive to pick it up. This Rideable Bicycle Replica "Boneshaker" now sits in my den.

1696351796441.png

Looks to be a "newer" model. Made after the company moved from the east to the left coast. I had one in the late 1970s/80s but sold it because my legs weren't quite long enough. Looks like the front wheel is a bit bent. A friend pretzeled the wheel on his. I un_spoked the wheel and tried to straighten the rim out with limited results. it was rideable but not good enough so he ordered a replacement wheel for it. As I recall he paid $350 for the replacement wheel in the early 1980s. The price of a new bike is quite reasonable so my guess is a wheel would be too. These are much safer to ride than the 1870s bikes as it has some head tube angle. More angle moves your center of gravity back so a header is far less likely. Racers would max out the wheel size and by making the head tube vertical, they would be more directly over the wheel and could get an even larger wheel for higher speeds. I've ridden a few antique penny farthings and I would say the Rideable Replica is far easier and much more stable to ride. The modern saddle is much easier to get get on/off. The older loop spring saddles are really good at snagging baggy shorts. It won't ever be confused for an antique by anyone that knows much about bikes but most people are pretty clueless and will be impressed.

PS, one of the crank cotter pins is in backwards. The cranks aren't at 180 as a result. the one crank arm is moved in a bit, enough to catch your ankle bone on so that would be the one to reinstall.

PS, one of the crank cotter pins is in backwards. The cranks aren't at 180 as a result. the one crank arm is moved in a bit, enough to catch your ankle bone on so that would be the one to reinstall.
Good eye! Also looks like the 'dish' is way off, but might be a photographic illusion. The spoke angle appears much steeper on the right side, compared to the left.

Looks to be a "newer" model. Made after the company moved from the east to the left coast. I had one in the late 1970s/80s but sold it because my legs weren't quite long enough. Looks like the front wheel is a bit bent. A friend pretzeled the wheel on his. I un_spoked the wheel and tried to straighten the rim out with limited results. it was rideable but not good enough so he ordered a replacement wheel for it. As I recall he paid $350 for the replacement wheel in the early 1980s. The price of a new bike is quite reasonable so my guess is a wheel would be too. These are much safer to ride than the 1870s bikes as it has some head tube angle. More angle moves your center of gravity back so a header is far less likely. Racers would max out the wheel size and by making the head tube vertical, they would be more directly over the wheel and could get an even larger wheel for higher speeds. I've ridden a few antique penny farthings and I would say the Rideable Replica is far easier and much more stable to ride. The modern saddle is much easier to get get on/off. The older loop spring saddles are really good at snagging baggy shorts. It won't ever be confused for an antique by anyone that knows much about bikes but most people are pretty clueless and will be impressed.

Yes, it's newer from California. I haven't tried getting a date on it from them yet.
You can see the siight 8 inch zig zag on one section of the wheel. I feel pretty confident, I can massage that back into alignment.
This is the 48" wheel model. They still sell these new for around $1200 plus shipping.
In addition to no baggy clothes, I've been warned about no hanging shoelaces especially :D :D :D !!!

Good eye. I hadn't noticed that yet, but you are correct. That will be an easy fix. Thanks

Good eye! Also looks like the 'dish' is way off, but might be a photographic illusion. The spoke angle appears much steeper on the right side, compared to the left.

Must be the photo. I just looked dead on the front of the wheel and it's even dish on both sides.

Found the right piece of furniture to show off the bike. This is where it will stay until sometime next year when I have time to tinker with it. It really looks great as art.

1697422497294.png

Correction. I've owned this MINI-Farthing since 2012. I bought it in Yojyakarta, Indonesia

1697547817496.png

Latest posts

Back