Bobber Jr.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
IMG_1095.JPG
I picked up a stingray jr frame and an engine kit for my kids for Christmas. I want to have them do as much of the build as possible themselves. I was going to have them cut and prep for welding and build a frame but everything fits so perfectly on this one that I see no need to modify it or make a new one. They seem pretty excited. I am excited for them to see what they can do. The only things we have modified so far is we had to dimple the exhaust to clear the frame and I had to shave about 1/8 of an inch off the inside of the crank arms.

IMG_1101.JPG
The kids have been able to do a large portion of the work so far. They have been able to see how a carburetor works, how to set and adjust cable tension, how to torque nuts, what different washers are for. They all got to ride it today and are very excited to get out again Saturday for some more ride time. My youngest needs to grow a couple more inches before he will fit well on it. We rode it together. I had thought about gearing it lower for more torque but it pulled us both just fine. We are a combined weight of about 240lbs.

Next is to recover the seat with a dark blue bandanna, and sand and paint the fork legs to blend in better with the look of the bike.

Bad to the bone.

Nice project and great to get kids involved. Now you've opened the window to the great world of Motorbikes...I started 12 years ago with same kit and no forums or support kit was Like $399 lol back then. Since have built many with all different types of motors....Have fun

IMG_1114.JPG
IMG_1113.JPG
IMG_1119.JPG
Nice project and great to get kids involved. Now you've opened the window to the great world of Motorbikes...I started 12 years ago with same kit and no forums or support kit was Like $399 lol back then. Since have built many with all different types of motors....Have fun
I am glad the prices have come down so far. I am into their whole bike, motor and everything for less than half the cost of your first motor. I just got back from a 1 mile cruise with my daughter. It is about 20 degrees Fahrenheit out today. She had a braces filled grin and giggles all the way. I tipped the bars back a bit and now my boy can ride it too. They did a good job on the seat re-cover today as well.

Looks great sounds fun. A few things to remember always go over and retighten everything be for riding and the chain will stretch so stay close to home for a few trips.

IMG_1136.JPG
My daughter mentioned she thought my bike sounded better so I made an additional muffler from spare parts for the kid's bike. I used thick walled 1" pipe for the exit to create a lower pitch sound. The 1/4" inlet extends to the back side inside the second muffler and the 1" pipe extends to the front of the muffler. It gives a nice sound but I am not sure we will leave it on. The hose drags pretty close to the ground and the exhaust is now much quieter than the engine itself. I may replace the 1/4" inlet with something larger and use a larger hose or tube to connect the mufflers to increase the volume and keep or improve the lower pitch tone.

Back