Bobber:ish Rex Lyx 1936 Build. *Its DONE*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Bobber:ish Rex Lyx 1936 Build.

ruddigger said:
I like the springer man. I say cut off the cross race and flip those bars way down.

Thx!

I will cut the cross race but the bars will stay right side up! :D

Cut the cross race today, i think it looks ok, i will use these bars for now.

IMG_0094.jpg

Nothing much, just mounted the light, fitted my mock up wheel just for looks, finally they have shipped my rear wheel, hope to see it before the weekend!

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

Uuuugh, I've been gone for half a year - But I like what I've come back too :wink: I like the new bars and the springer, the rear fender was mighty dapper as well though I'd play around with the idea of bobbing it - could look cool. Bobbing fenders is kinda hard not in effort but in the stupid fact that a 1/2 inch too short or too long can either kill the look or kick some tail. I really really like this build. :D Oh, one more suggestion if I may, I think it'd look killer with a straight oldschool bobber-simplistic drag bar, litterally just a flat bar mildly narrow and swept back just a touch. Dont know how comfortable itd be though seein how she looks a little big. Keep up the good work man, I love this thing. Makes me feel real good to be back lol.

SectionEightLife said:
Uuuugh, I've been gone for half a year - But I like what I've come back too :wink: I like the new bars and the springer, the rear fender was mighty dapper as well though I'd play around with the idea of bobbing it - could look cool. Bobbing fenders is kinda hard not in effort but in the stupid fact that a 1/2 inch too short or too long can either kill the look or kick some tail. I really really like this build. :D Oh, one more suggestion if I may, I think it'd look killer with a straight oldschool bobber-simplistic drag bar, litterally just a flat bar mildly narrow and swept back just a touch. Dont know how comfortable itd be though seein how she looks a little big. Keep up the good work man, I love this thing. Makes me feel real good to be back lol.

Oh, sorry, I guess you did bob the fender, didnt see that. LOVE it

Thanks alot man! :D

Yea the fender will get cut a little more, im still waiting on the rear wheel so i dont want to cut it yet, i need to know where the new rear wheel/tire will sit in the frame before cutting it.

At first i wanted a almost flat bar on this one, but when i saw my friends HD bobber i knew i wanted something a little higher, i tried a flat bar but like you said, it wasnt that comfy! :)

Rear wheel should be here tomorrow and then i will start finishing it! YAY!

Sweeeet, What kind of rear wheel is it going to be? Im too lazy to stop typing this and double check if you already said :roll: But have you ever tried those flat 'drag slick' sulky tires? Could be a pretty slick idea for later years if you wanna change up, I think they have whitewall versions too.

if I were to build a chopper, it would be just like this.

SectionEightLife said:
Sweeeet, What kind of rear wheel is it going to be? Im too lazy to stop typing this and double check if you already said :roll: But have you ever tried those flat 'drag slick' sulky tires? Could be a pretty slick idea for later years if you wanna change up, I think they have whitewall versions too.

Thanks everyone! :D

Not a bad idea, maybe if this wont work out, i got my Felt rear wheel yesterday, it should fit in good in the frame, i got my tires today as well so this weekend i will spend some time with it, im low on money right now as well so we will see when i can continiue. Im going to use Schwalbe Big apple in the rear and a thin Schwalbe in the front, both with reflex walls, think its gonna look good!

Beautiful! I love the loop tail frames. I like the front end that's on it now and I'd also be curious to see what some drag bars would look like.
Not that the bars your using look bad, they actually look pretty cool! I can't wait to see it finished.

mmcdaniel69 said:
Beautiful! I love the loop tail frames. I like the front end that's on it now and I'd also be curious to see what some drag bars would look like.
Not that the bars your using look bad, they actually look pretty cool! I can't wait to see it finished.

Yea, thats kina why i got this old bike! :) I have tired lower bars but i dint like it that way, i might go just a tad higher if i get new bars.

I got the crankset welded tonight, had to shorten the crankarms about 1" to clear the ground and still keep it low in the frame, still a little tight to the ground but what the heck, its not supposed to be a mountainbike, its built to look cool! :)

More pics this week, im also thinking about how to paint it in the future, im thinking silver/black, primer gray/black, rust brown/black, give me some suggestions!

Well, like i said i welded the crankset in place, it sits a little on the low side, but i wanted the cranks low but this is maybe to low, oh well i can raise it about 1cm or so later on, i will change out the pedals for something a little smaller to gain some clarence while leaning, i can ride it but i have to be careful, well its a ratish bobber, its supposed to be a challange do ride! :mrgreen:

I sit pretty .... good on it even though im tall (188cm), i can pedal it without feeling like a jerk! :) So tomorrow i will get some chains and other small parts to make it rideable!

Here is how it looks right now...ohh and the box under the toptube is a toolbox that came with the donor bike, only mounted temporarly in that spot.

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

I finally got my chain on and had my first day on it, and i love it! i sit very good on the bike and it just feels .... good!
Just a few fixes to do on it, mount the rear fender, get the 3 speed setup so i can change gears, i think thats about it for now!

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

bild3.jpg

bild.jpg

bild2.jpg

spitfire42 said:
stylin ride man got anymore planed

Thanks!

Yes i do..

Rear fender.
A paint scheme.
New front wheel with a reflective matching tire.
Buy or fab up a jockey shifter.

I think thats about it, but thats on the priority list right now.

Is it wierd that Im drooling...... :oops: I really like it and hope to some day have the skills for a build of my own.. 8)

It turned out great. The placement of the pedals help hide the curve that was bugging me. Nice work.

1speedJam1982 said:
Is it wierd that Im drooling...... :oops: I really like it and hope to some day have the skills for a build of my own.. 8)

Thanks!

Thats totally normal! :) One day im sure you can build your own bike!

g-ratter said:
It turned out great. The placement of the pedals help hide the curve that was bugging me. Nice work.

Thanks!

Yea it turned out really good!

Finally got the rear fender mounted, turned out really good, low and no rubbing. Also got the mount tab for the Nexus shifter in place, now i just need to get a hold of that "......." that makes those sweet suicide shifters for the nexus! If i cant get one of those i will get the H.B.B.C shifter.

Here is how she looks now...

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

Latest posts

Back