Board tracker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really, but it is a bit of a nanny state. :)

Shortened the stem to drop the handlebars as low as they can and modded that little fork plate thingie that connects the springer end to the fork.

20%20-%20Boardtrack.jpg

Possible engine layout. Brilliant or insanely stupid? You tell me, I haven't got a clue. :D
23%20-%20Boardtrack.jpg

This way, I can keep the stock exhaust and manifold.

I wonder what you would need to do to make your bike into a "Whizzer". My Dad has his old Whizzer and the frame looks exactly like your frame. If your bike were a Whizzer, then you would be legal, right? BTW, you make me appreciate my United States of America even more now. Thanks for that.

The nice thing about two strokes is you can have the engine upside down if you want and it will still work great. The carb needs to be flat with earth, but the case and head don't care where they are pointed.

I'm trying to avoid having to chop up the frame - I like it! :)

The engine also fits standing up, and that does look better. The exhaust will then exit in the front, but I suppose I could work around that with a different exhaust.
However, turning the engine past 45 degrees results in oil leaking out of this little hole;

vent.jpg

There's no thread on the inside so it's not meant to be sealed with a bolt.
Anyone know if it is of utmost importance? :mrgreen:

Oh, I lived in the US for a while. Good place, friendly people, bad food, worse beer. :)

iamrik said:
Using a different plate and serial number, that's not exactly legal is it? :D

No it isn't, but neither is riding it around in industrial areas :mrgreen:

The little hole is to keep your gearcase from pressurising i think. You could close it, but you will need to make a new hole somewhere.

Hoeha said:
iamrik said:
Using a different plate and serial number, that's not exactly legal is it? :D

No it isn't, but neither is riding it around in industrial areas :mrgreen:

The little hole is to keep your gearcase from pressurising i think. You could close it, but you will need to make a new hole somewhere.

Isn't "omkatten" a pretty serious offence? At least, with cars it is.

You're right, it's for venting the pressure. I've spoken with someone who knows a bit about these engines, and he noted that I can seal it off so long as I don't ride very large distances.

I have to say, your project is looking awesome. Where in Holland are you?

Yes, the hole is for crank case ventilation. If the hole is not facing up you will need to plug it and make another like suggested earlier. A fitting a coiled copper line will do the trick. If you dont have a vent you risk blowing head gaskets and/or case gaskets and oil will be everywhere.

iamrik said:
Isn't "omkatten" a pretty serious offence? At least, with cars it is.

I have to say, your project is looking awesome. Where in Holland are you?

Thanks!, i'm in Papendrecht, near Dordrecht and Rotterdam

And yes, you'd better not get caught in a "omgekatte" car. Don't know about mopeds actually.

All i know is, when you get caught riding a homemade moped, they confiscate it.... Don't know if you can get it back without the motor though.... I hope i never find out :mrgreen:

All i know is, when you get caught riding a homemade moped, they confiscate it.... Don't know if you can get it back without the motor though.... I hope i never find out :mrgreen:[/quote]

So they don't want YOU to make a home made moped. What if you purchased a foreign moped (that happened to be a one off). Are you able to own it and run it? I may sound like a law breaking ....... but I'm really trying to help you out, really by trying to uncover workable loopholes. Could you buy a bike from the U.S. and run it? If not then what constitutes a home made moped? If you take a stock moped and just change the handlebars is it now a custom bike that is illegal? How do they define a custom moped in Holland?

Custom & customizing is somewhat of an American tradition.
it is becoming more popular the last couple of years but Germany and Belgium are the frontrunners here, with increasing more visitors on custom culture (kustom kulture) theme fests and meets.
But for the dutch law enforcers & dmv (rdw) the word custom is just a trigger to tear apart your vehicle.
It also depends on wich office of the dmv you go to, i've heard of one office rejecting a car and another approve of the same car without mods done in between.
Its sometimes is possible to get away with (mild)customized stuff if safety is not being compromized.
But putting that puch engine in a bicycle frame is bound to get you in trouble on the public roads, the only way you could drive that kind of vehicles is on private property or on racetracks(wich prob would have some sort of tech & safety rules too).
If only more people would build similair bikes we could think about hiring a track somewhere, or find a piece of land that would alow for us to come and race/ride our creations now and then.

Thanks for all the comments on the vents and the legality of the project guys! Really helpful.

There's another way of placing the engine that I'm thinking of, which would keep the engine level but further down in the frame. I could take a part out of the frame and place a ring in it, so that the cilinder head goes through the frame. Would be kinda cool I think.

I'll be using the hubs from the Puch's wheels. While it's a tight fit to get them in the frame (especially the rear), there's a thread on the rear hub that will fit a standard Shimano freewheel. Bonus!

24%20-%20Boardtrack.jpg

25%20-%20Boardtrack.jpg

Anyone local want the rims and tires?

Hoeha, good to hear someone building more difficult stuff than me lives somewhat in the neighbourhood! :idea:

iamrik said:
There's another way of placing the engine that I'm thinking of, which would keep the engine level but further down in the frame. I could take a part out of the frame and place a ring in it, so that the cilinder head goes through the frame. Would be kinda cool I think.

Hoeha, good to hear someone building more difficult stuff than me lives somewhat in the neighbourhood! :idea:

I don't build difficult stuff ?!?
But if you need any help on the ring around your cilinderhead, let me know. Be glad to help you. Bet it would look cool when you mount the motor like that.

I tried to see if the Puch fork would fit the frame just for fun, and it does.
While not really the old fashioned boardtrack look, it does look hot! Now I don't know what to do any more, hooray. :?

26%20-%20Boardtrack.jpg

27%20-%20Boardtrack.jpg

What's you guys opinion? Keep the Columbia springer and go the way I thought I would or keep the Puch fork and small wheels?

id say it add a tougher look to the bike makes it look kinda chunky 8)
although it depends if you want to stay true to the board tracker image or make a modern version?
imho both are really kool :)

nick_ish said:
id say it add a tougher look to the bike makes it look kinda chunky 8)
although it depends if you want to stay true to the board tracker image or make a modern version?
imho both are really kool :)

Using the Schwinn it was never going to be a true replica, so a bit of variation was always the plan. This might be a bit too much though, but I have no image in my head that I want it to look like. It'll just form over time I suppose. :)

iamrik said:
Using the Schwinn it was never going to be a true replica, so a bit of variation was always the plan. This might be a bit too much though, but I have no image in my head that I want it to look like. It'll just form over time I suppose. :)

yeah true looking at it again it actualy looks a little like a supermoto >.< you may be right about it being a tad to far.

best of luck anyway :)

I think it looks great that way with the Puch forks and wheels, defintely a tougher stance or look. The old bicycle springers were generally never meant for that kind of weight, this will be a lot more stable.

Back