BMX crank length

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm putting together an old US made Huffy for my 11 year old cousin (her other bike was stolen and my sister said tough luck! :mrgreen: ) the stock crank seems really short, even for a teen. it's a 1 piece crank and i see i could buy new cranks from several places for around $10. they come in all sizes... just wondering what would be recommended for a teen?

edit: i'm not opposed to doing a 3 piece conversion. i see them for $20, then add the arms...

Get a crank from an old mtn. bike or cruiser. They are longer and make pedaling much easier. I save every one I find for swap outs.I wont ride a bike with a short crank.

ah yes! BB Height! i'll be measuring that when i get home. Thanks!

what kind of room should i be looking for under the pedals?

Main thing is if they are going to be riding it you don't wont the pedal skipping off the ground when they turn a corner. I always stick 175's on for myself (6' tall) when I've got them handy.

CCR said:
Main thing is if they are going to be riding it you don't wont the pedal skipping off the ground when they turn a corner. I always stick 175's on for myself (6' tall) when I've got them handy.

My AMF Renegade has a long cruiser crank and it will bite the ground on a corner.. Gotta watch outand never ever ride barefooted unless you want a few missing toes from those rat traps diggin in.

well, this was the project...

but the parts needed to get it back in shape would cost the same as this...

so i bought that instead. $60.

i'll save the Huffy for the future. gather parts as i run across them cheap. 6.5"/165mm crank, tire, tube, grips, shipping...

Back