Blade - stretched racer?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got the chance to buy a in germany called "blade" frame and fork for a few bucks... a frame wich is famous for its bad welding and accuracy... and its a copy of the firebike fluid frame in normal tubes...

you may know that iam 1,92m (6' 4" ) tall so a chinese frame is way to small for me!... and i wanted to let it look different...because here in germany its common to put in fat rims and paint it black :?

thats how it arrived at my home... :oops:
scaled.php

scaled.php

still looking good... now lets take a closer look... :eek:

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

...had to sandblast it...
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

...much better...

i had some ideas...
using a Zündapp Bergsteiger Fork...
scaled.php

or using the fork that came with the frame... but give it the look of a girder fork (ONLY THE LOOK!)
scaled.php

so the day of welding came near... :p

preparing the fork for a shortening of 3.5 cm...
scaled.php

the rear is stretched for the use of 4" rims (100mm) and the frame is 25cm (10") longer tha before.. :)
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

the rims on the pics are 3" but i needed some for the buildup.. and my rims are not laced at the moment...
...the fork is still in process so i took the "Zündapp Bergsteiger" first... to try frame height and length... :)

WILL CONTINUE!!!

i think european ebay is the only chance... (some seller ship worls wide )
they are pretty cheap around 20-50 Euros for a functioning fork... but remember motorcycles do almost never have a 1" or 1 1/8" steering rod... ill use a Ahead system for this fork, because its hard to find the right female screw for the steering rod to tighten it... so i know i will destroy the threading of the steering rod but thats the only way!

Very cool project,Tibor. Too bad,you have to put in so much work (re-welding the frame,I mean). I guess it's on TH as well,so I'll pop by there. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

after nearly a month of permanent stress without spare time i had the chance to work 3 hours on the blade yesterday evening... i build the wheels a few days ago before going to bed :)... no i had the time to put everything together...first it looked like everything may work fine... but after i tried to put on the chain i saw that the chain was rubbing on the seatstay as well as the chain stay... i tried different sprockets even 1cm offsett sprockets... but nothing was helping so i butchered an old alivio derailleur... :) now its working... its noisier than i fought but the cain runs smooth... but i will change that soon (when i have time again :) )

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

... the seat will have to go!!! DEFINITLY!!! i get a "bobber" seat pan from a friend :mrgreen: so the seat gets lower and mor "integrated" in the frame... the front chainwhell is a 46tooth version... with the 5"cranks and a 17tooth sprocket its undriveable... and i have PRETTY STRONG LEGS!!!... the first of the seven gears hub (Sram S7) felt like the 8th of my alfine but i wasn't moving at all... :(

...its a long way to the top if you wanna rock'n'roll...

Man this looks goooood!!! I love the frame and the Fat wheels!!!! 8) :mrgreen:

I really love these 4"rims and the german way of building,I have been watching a few euro crews and the styles are awesome,its cool to see what the general idea of what a ratrod/custom bike is from differant countries,here in New Zealand its mostly lowriders and scratch built traditional choppers with 50"forks and anything classic is usually restored to an original style,hopefully I will get my club started and promote all styles of ratting out bikes,theres only a few in NZ that really dig this lifestyle,cant wait to see Blade finished

Latest posts

Back