Black Phantom powder coated

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A while back I posted picking up this Phantom for $80. I got a lot of flack over my plans to powder coat it so I thought about it and talked to several folks over options. I finally decided to go for it since I'm not planning on selling this bike.

25682029-BC91-4142-9BA3-EA6CFE389582-3988-000003219BD5B900_zps64df54f9.jpg

I went with a satin black, and then used a grey instead of the original red. I'm more of a flat black and no chrome type so I thought this was a way to make it my own, but keep it's roots as a Phantom. I hate the fact that I have to wear reading glasses now to pinstripe! Like the Rolling Stone would say, "what a drag it is getting old."

ED7C3628-C6CB-461F-A69C-3E69C7100D5A-2204-000001F5E8A47FBE_zps09efaac4.jpg

Here's the tank halves after the first pass with the pinstripe. With stuff like this I like to lay down a thin line and come back with a filler line the get it all straight.
527586CA-D485-4C87-AA9E-91C4F9E8B52D-2204-000001F5D553800F_zps3383d529.jpg

Here's my mock up and I really like the look. Unfortunately the back tire that fits the chain stays, rubs the chain. I'm putting a set of Nirve rims on here with a 3 speed so I'm hoping the wider back rim will help pull the chain out a little. The tire is barely touching the chain. I have two choices, I could space out the chain sprocket, engineer something for the chainstays, and possibly the chainguard, or get a different tire.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/9...kr.com/8118/8626063380_8a576f02df_c.jpg[/img]
Untitled by flickpix67, on Flickr[/url]

This is basically what the Phantom will look like minus the 3 inch tire on the back. Ordering the rims in a week or so along with a suicide shifter and a tire that matches the front.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/9...kr.com/8104/8626123474_b16d10cbc6_c.jpg[/img]
Untitled by flickpix67, on Flickr[/url]

I know some of you are probably cursing me out for powder coating a classic. I thought about it long and hard. I'm not selling it, and wanted to make it my own, and I'm pleased with the result. Just wish the fat tire would've worked out.

Roly...

I think it looks great! 8) Since you plan to keep it, powder coating was a good choice. Probably 10 times more durable than paint. However, if you ever decide to change the color, it's a lot harder to remove PC than paint!

Thanks guys. The grey and pinstripes are done in regular paint. so I can change that if I wanted to later. The powder coat is everything black which is under the painted parts too. I agree with the powder being tough, and yes, it would have to be burned off at about 800 degrees! I'm really hoping that a simple addition of a washer will push the chain out a little where it won't make contact with the chain, but I'm ordering a Schwalbe Fat Frank just to be safe. It's 2.35' wide, but man this flamed Kenda is just so bad ... lookin! Too much engineering though, I'd need to add an idler pulley because the chain is a bit loose. If I take a link out it would be too short. Not much play in the chainstay to move it further back.

I look at it this way, now I need another bike to go along with the Kenda tire. I'll have to find a way to ease that into a conversation with my wife.

Back