Black Phantom for $80

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this Black Phantom for $80 last night. The numbers on the bottom bracket says it's a 1951 model. I'm not going to try to restore her right now, but I will make her up real pretty. I'm going to powder coat the frame and re do the graphix to include new waterslide stickers. Might leave the fenders off for now till I find some nice ones on eBay. I paid $100 for everything you see in the picture. $20 for the rims to the left.

25682029-BC91-4142-9BA3-EA6CFE389582-3988-000003219BD5B900_zps64df54f9.jpg

05057F0A-33D7-4659-B9D8-C1352CAF6DE1-3988-000003221F9372ED_zps1c703cdf.jpg

I'll give it a shot! I was thinking about maybe shooting it with a matt finish once it's clean just to protect it. The possibilities are endless!

Rockit! said:
Would you be interested in parting with those ape-hangers?
Sorry brother, I got them for a 20" 1959 Murray I'm building for my nephew. I often run across them so I'll keep you in mind.

That's a heck of a deal! :D I agree, all that paint needs is a wash and wax! :wink:

Good advice from a old Phantom collector, that original paint is real tough it will clean up. Also the parts you will need are always for sale, you may want to stay away from e-bay, prices are a little steep, my opion only. Swap meets and web sites like this . I had the same year color minus the drum brake. You will not ever lose money on these bikes. Nice pick MB

I believe I have my next rat rod project! I'll post as soon as I start! It will be a while before I start, have three others ahead of it.

Man, you got me. I'm new at this. I've been into Bikes my whole life but only recently have I got into restoring cruisers and making Rat Rods. I think it depends on the options you got the bike with. I'm sure it was offered that year but I'm not sure if there was more than one model. Although the chain ring has rust on it, the teeth look like new. After a media blast and powder coat it'll look showroom fresh. Still undecided if I'll powder coat the entire bike and relabel it like new, or just hit it with some matt clear and ride the wheels off it.

Roly...

Well, if you decide to go that route, let me know. I've got a '52 Phantom that someone repainted incorrectly years ago. It would be a perfect candidate for a full blast and powder. I'd be interested in trading you frame for frame and I'd pay for the ride both ways.

Frame paint looks to nice to media blast, just try some clean up first. My 2 cents.

Latest posts

Back