Black Diamond Deluxe

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Luke for the feed back . I will stay on point from now on . Re guarding the second tank I think odd job was just kidding around. I don't think that would work very well nor look good . The TRM Tank is all I need on this bike for sure .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I was kidding. It's Northern Hemisphere humor, Luke. :21:

Seriously, I am looking forward to your application with the TRM tank conversion G. I had so much fun with mine this summer. Glad to see you giving it a go!

Well I got my little shop cleaned up & stared pulled some parts out . Need your guys professional opinion. I want to use a skip tooth drive train & have a few options to choose from. What would you do ?
#1 this is the cheapest way out
Use this wheel set as it is . The only thing is the spokes are pretty week & I would like to clean this hub up some and that's hard to do amongst all the spokes but spin true & free.
69f08877d444d35fdb61bba69a21e195.jpg
e9ecf6ccef0e74a1e1e0040781995647.jpg

#2 More expensive way but better . Take the hub from #1 and put it in this wheel set witch is pretty sweet with great natural but clean looking age . Then put all new spokes which may look funny unless maybe I use black ones.
c106b0bdd281079ca3c070257c110dbe.jpg
a913bd104b55dc1786a20d06ac686b1d.jpg

# 3 or use this New Departure hub in the #2 wheel set also will need to be released.
9c379528437ed4a2dd26bb57381b8a69.jpg

Personally I'm would like to do option #2 but hate to spend the cash $

Can you imagine cutting into a TRM tank.:giggle::arghh::speechless:

love the color of this bike , already.

Not really I'm still trying to build up my courage . It may happen today though with any luck .

Last edited:
G, see my thread from the BO-11 this summer about the process I used for getting the hole cuts lined up on the TRM tank.

Look near the middle of this page:
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...ner-now-in-finished-bikes-thread.98150/page-2

Also, I have used a couple of original wheels that were extremely rusty and crusty, but spokes were firm and wheel was true. Still holding up on those bikes, and ride great! If the spokes are soft, they will only get softer. Black spokes would be cool, and, they take to 'color' if you want to rust-ina them as well to match your rims.

Well I got my little shop cleaned up & stared pulled some parts out . Need your guys professional opinion. I want to use a skip tooth drive train & have a few options to choose from. What would you do ?

Personally I'm would like to do option #2 but hate to spend the cash $

I'm for option 2. Black spokes can be misted with a little bit of oxide red primer and/or bronze spray paint to make them "fit".

Thanks OJ I will check your thread . So what would you use for the wheel set

G, see my thread from the BO-11 this summer about the process I used for getting the hole cuts lined up on the TRM tank.

Look near the middle of this page:
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...ner-now-in-finished-bikes-thread.98150/page-2
There's many ways to achieve the same results but the main thing is to take your time and think through the process as you go. It usually takes me several hours trimming a little at a time checking and rechecking so that I get a tight fit.

Here's a step by step that I did also starting at #29:

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...ia-convertible-commuter-finished.91959/page-2

Just doesn't seem to fit this frame right
ad709f170554c77158544ed82dd9499d.jpg

I believe it's because this seat post tube is barley 16" tall . I check my Elgin frame & the tube is 18" tall & fits much better . If I use this frame I may have to run it through the set post not sure if that will work right but the fit is better but the look not so much .
ee035378f7c7f9795f62b6ce62cede2a.jpg

Wow, is that a 24" bike?

That's what I thought too but the frame is the exact same length as the 26" Elgin but the seat tub is almost 2 1/4 shorter . The bike had 26" wheels on it when I got it and just checked it again and 26" fits the frame .

Last edited:
That's how those tanks fit on the 24" huffy frame I got from CRASH.
Seems odd your frame appears roughly the same size.

That's how those tanks fit on the 24" huffy frame I got from CRASH.
Seems odd your frame appears roughly the same size.

Anything is possible I guess . On these old bikes . Go figure [emoji849]

I believe it's because this seat post tube is barley 16" tall . I check my Elgin frame & the tube is 18" tall & fits much better .
Where are you measuring? I checked my Elgin, Schwinn and Columbia and all three are roughly 15-15 1/2" from the top of the BB to the seat stays (where the tank intersects).

d5cdda2828e8f958ace50caeeabb71c1.jpg

I think it's just a weird geometry. The spacing is pretty wide between the top & bottom tube

Just doesn't seem to fit this frame right
ad709f170554c77158544ed82dd9499d.jpg

I wouldn't be apposed to using it like this it's a little different but it still looks cool it would be one of a kind

What do you think
d94b1c4085f878177af99fed9f40088d.jpg

It's different I kinda like it . I'm i little different also Lol coo coo for coco puffs Lol . It will
Be a first .

Last edited:
Another option would be to move it back horizontally but you would first need to set it on its wheels to check the headlight pods and see if they are pointing up too far.
View attachment 42229
I like this rendition. You will have more extension to deal with on the seat stay, but otherwise it's the same amount of work you would normally do on a tank fit. Flows nicely with the frame tubes.

Back