Bike Vacation - Hwy 30A in the Florida Panhandle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went on a great vacation last week to Florida Highway 30A in the Florida panhandle. We rented a house just across 30A from the beach at Seacrest Beach with great views of the Gulf of Mexico. Rode bikes along 30A in the communities of Rosemary Beach, Aly's Beach, Seacrest Beach, Seagrove Beach, and Seaside. This was just a great biking vacation, we rode at least 5 miles daily with 8 of 9 family members participating in the daily rides. There is a bike path that runs the length of 30A that is just fabulous and there are things to do/see in each of the little communities along the way. If you are looking for a great vacation spot at the beach to ride I would highly recommend this area. From the 30A website at:

http://30a.com/biking/

One of the most authentic ways to enjoy South Walton’s stunning architecture and natural beauty is to do like the locals do — hop on a beach cruiser and take in the sights at the slower pace that life prefers here.

30A‘s 19-mile paved bike path (sometimes referred to the “Timpoochee Trail”) parallels the entire length of the scenic road and passes through all of its famous beach communities, from Dune Allen in the West to Seacrest and Alys Beach in the East. Enjoy the thrill of biking over rare coastal dune lakes and discovering a side of South Walton that’s difficult to see from a car.

For the slightly more adventurous, there’s Eastern Lake Trail, located within Point Washington State Forest. The trail system has 3-mile, 5-mile and 10-mile trail loops.

Bike rental and repair shops can be found throughout South Walton.

The great thing about this area is people get on a bike to go places rather than in a car. There were bikes literally everywhere you looked. Of the 1000's of bikers I saw most were on new single speed rental cruisers but also a large number of road and mountain bikes as well as new cruisers. The only vintage or custom bike I saw all week was my 1961 Huffy Eldorado I customized just for vacations like these. It is lightweight, rides great, and I love the three speed Shimano Nexus rear coaster brake hub. Makes it easy on my old arthritic legs.

This was a fantastic vacation and I am sure to make this a new yearly destination. I had intended to also carry my 1930 Hartford but knew it was supposed to rain every day which it did so I left it at home.

Me & My Huffy at Alys Beach

My Wife Annie & Nephew Matthew

My Family of Bikers - Wife Annie, Niece Amanda, Niece Sara, Sister Freda and Brother-in-Law Jack (On my Huffy, this was actually his bike as a kid and they were going to toss it 6 years ago. I took it & customized it starting my love for Vintage Bikes)

More Rosemary Beach

At the house we rented in Seacrest

Seaside Florida on 30A

Seaside is a really great little village. Barefoot BBQ in the little Airstream Trailer was amazing and unexpected. All four sauces they had were unbelievably delicious, I could not even pick a favorite as all were great!!!!!!! Bikes & bikers were everywhere. Bikes and golf carts are the primary modes of transportation here as they were in all the little communities along 30A. This is how we were meant to live to me, everything you need close by and by bike or walking without cars. More towns need to start using this as a model with small town centers as the hub. I want to move to one of these communities when I retire in a few years. To me this is city planning at it's finest.

Thanks for sharing your pictures and experiences. Looks like a great trip.

Very nice area. Looks super clean and modern. Doesn't look like that here in the outback. :oops: I'll remember this thread...I might just have to take the wife and bikes to the panhandle. Thanks for sharing. Gary

My wife and I vacation on 30-A a couple of times a year and we love it as well. Great biking destination with tons of great food and drink stops. I HIGHLY recommend Bruno's pizza in Seagrove. Best pizza you will ever eat. Yes, it's that good.

Mope Head said:
My wife and I vacation on 30-A a couple of times a year and we love it as well. Great biking destination with tons of great food and drink stops. I HIGHLY recommend Bruno's pizza in Seagrove. Best pizza you will ever eat. Yes, it's that good.

I agree, Bruno's Pizza in Seagrove is amazing. I should have mentioned it. We also ate at George's at Alys Beach, GREAT atmosphere but half our group loved the food and half hated it, also was expensive.

supergoob said:
Love it! I'll be honeymooning at Seagrove Beach in October!!

1. Bruno's Pizza in Seagrove
2. The Redbar in Grayton Beach to see (and hear) Dread Clampitt
3. Fresh Cobia tacos at The Local Catch

*Bonus! Geoff Mcbride and/or the Forrest Williams band are locals and are always playing somewhere on 30-A. Neither are to be missed!

Mope Head said:
supergoob said:
Love it! I'll be honeymooning at Seagrove Beach in October!!

1. Bruno's Pizza in Seagrove
2. The Redbar in Grayton Beach to see (and hear) Dread Clampitt
3. Fresh Cobia tacos at The Local Catch

*Bonus! Geoff Mcbride and/or the Forrest Williams band are locals and are always playing somewhere on 30-A. Neither are to be missed!

You rock...thank you!!

Have fun! There's also a 30-A phone app and FB page that'll hook you up with all kinds of happenings.

Back