Bike touring

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much as I love the machines everyone here does, my real passion is bike touring.
I've been all over the UK on my bike. But my dream tour would be across the States for a year or so, because it's big and beautiful, and England is tiny and overcrowded.
Thing is, while I'm still healthy and have no ties I could do it. I have two friends who went to the US with work, one in Massacheusets, and another in Texas, obviously, a trip between the two would be the logical one, but really, no I've no ideas beyond that. It'd be at the start of 2011.
Are there any Ratrodbike bike tourists? Anywhere you'd recommend if I went? Anywhere that I should avoid? Would any of you like to show me around your neck of the woods if I was there in about 18 months?

Check out this link. Marty is a great guy, if you can pick up a couple of his books. Against the wind chronicles his first major bike tour, cross country, really funny. The book Above the Circle came later. I had the honor of building the bike he rode on that trip.

I live in the lakes region of NH, lots of scenic roads to travel, probably too many for one lifetime..

http://www.martybasch.com

chris667 said:
Are there any Ratrodbike bike tourists?

Here, Chris,

as a cold comfort: my ratbike and me on tour last week in overcrowded Germany. Think like a child and you´ll feel like a digger 8) . . .

regards, Paul
ems1234.jpg

i've toured all of New England (2 one week tours), very pretty, nice roads. As well, I have toured through the Adirondacks (upstate NY, 6 days). I have also motorcycle toured the "high road" across PA (Route 6) and as a cycle tourer would recommend that as a nice east to west route to get you well on your way to the midwest. I'd like to bicycle it someday too. Can't give info on getting any farther west than that (Pittsburgh area).

these days I don't have enough vacay for multi day tours so I did three overnighters camping at the beach this summer. it was a lot of fun.

there is a magazine I subscribe to, Adventure Cyclist. they have a website, and excellent maps. maybe Google them.

Back