Bike tax in Oregon Is dead! Oh Yeah!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Bike tax in Oregon! Booo!

just start a 1%er bike club :wink:
they might try and pass it...who knows it may even pass but as joeymac said theres no way they could ever realistically enforce it.....
youve definitely got the right idea in trying to stop it though(are they also going to have you transfer titles if its ever sold? :roll: )

FREAKBIKENOTAXES.jpg

Animaldesignz on the freakbike forum posted this. I dig it!

B607 said:
Why do you say that? Not me. I say civil disobedience. :x Gary

+1. First off, why do we have to pay the penalty for their misuse and wasting of OUR money. Secondly, if these guys think raising our taxes again and again is why we elected them, I think it's time for special elections to get these guys out.

didn't have a view on this untill...

so i was watching cops tonight. in a "drug area" cop rolls up to guy don't say anything jumps out the car ROLLS this dude on a bicycle.
while getting cuffed by now two cops asks WHAT DID I DO MAN WHAT DID I DO
cop giggles and says for starters being on a unregistered bicycle :shock:

i think is just a way to squeeze more money for their big budget and one more hassle for us

:shock: :shock: so just the other day, i thought this would happen someday... just not soon. seeing how i am 25miles south of the oregon boarder, this gets to me. how much to reg bikes? a few dollars a bike is one thing, but like $20 a bike (and 16 in my collection... thats like $380 or something like that). this is just plain stupid!!!

1. tax all bikes? even little 6yr old susie on her bunny cruiser?
2. multi bike discount?
3. whats next... mandatory bike insurense?
4. if i'm pulled over on a bike wo/ current reg, yreka would actually tie it down to the back of a full size wrecker that gets like 5 mpg and haul it to impound. now THAT makes sense.
5. i'd like to see the poor cop who tries to take one of my bikes.
6. a denver "boot" for any bike wo/reg?

As it stands, They are saying 27 a year per bike, but you have to pay in 2 year increments. 90 dollar no reg. ticket, and 25 for altering a serial number. I have gotten a letter back form one of my reps, which is kinda cool, so we'll see. Either way, it's a sad state of affairs when a state taht tries to appear as environmentally progressive does something that will hamper an environmental effort...

And what happened to the 300 dollar tax break for those who bought a bike to commute to work?

Wildcat said:
And what happened to the 300 dollar tax break for those who bought a bike to commute to work?

They want it back.

Bike taxes area silly but if there were one. TAX every vehicle the same rate per pound.

At 10 cents / pound a bicycle might cost $3 to register.

Toyota Camry (3300 pounds) - $330

Hummer H2 (6400 pounds) - $640

it definatly gives us something to think about and if oregon does pass this tax, we all know that other states would follow soon if it made alot of money, like california, new york, texas and others. at oregon's proposed $27 per bike, per year it would be very unfair for those of us with 5, 10 or even more bikes. who knows, if there would be one good thing to come from it, its that it would be easier to track down stolens as more bikes would be going thru the system ever year.

Re: Bike tax in Oregon is DEAD! YEAH!

Hey everyone, a little update on the oregon bike tax issue. I got this letter from a representative's office in response to an email. Read on:

Brigham, Thank you for taking the time to pass on your thoughts in regard to HB3008, the proposed bicycle registration and licensing system.Representative Edwards always appreciates the input of those within hiscommunity and I'll make sure that your thoughts on this matter arepassed onto him. It is Representative Edwards' opinion that the proposed fee level inthis bill is symbolic only and would not even cover the cost of theprogram needed to implement and enforce it. In order to cover the costof that program, the fee would need to be raised to a prohibitive level,and as such, Representative Edwards is opposed to this bill. Since the introduction of this bill the Representative has hadconversations with committee members and leaders on this issue, and hasbeen informed that a committee work session will not be held on HB 3008during this legislative session. This means the bill is dead. Thank you again for passing on your concerns regarding this bill and fortaken part in our legislative process.

I don't know if my or other letters by other Oregonians had any impact on this, or if common sense prevailed. But It's dead Yay! Also, I never heard back from the representative who was pushing this bill, only the ones who weren't in support of it...

thats the best news i've heard all day. when these kind of laws try to get passed up there, makes the rest of us a little nervous (ie california), but common sense prevailed and its dead... for now.

Back