Bike sizes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have a couple if female friends who have asked me to build them some cruisers. My questions is at what point does someone need a 26" versus a 24" bike. I told them I would only do something vintage but I'm limited in what I can find around here. One of them is only 5'1" so I figured she could be fine on a 24".

5'1" is tall enough for the average "vintage" 26" wheel bike, but a 24" should work if that's what you have to work with. At a little over 6'1", I have to use "special methods" to make a 26" rideable for any real distance or speed.

3f08dc13-9654-4287-8905-8f0a3f3be71d_zps84baa0b2.jpg

Yea with the seat post buried on a 26" that should be fine. On my current BTR, which is a 26" frame, I put a laid back seat post on it, if I'd gone with a standard crank length I'd be kneeing myself in the chin... I'm 5'9". But I think you'd probably be able to find a pretty good deal on a 24" especially since it's a girls bike (Assuming that to be the case any way).

I have devoloped a couple questions for sizing over the years. (I don't sell bikes anymore)
1) do you want to touch your feet to the ground while seated,? & with that, are you comfortable using coaster brakes?
Believe it or not, most women never had a coaster! They are not comfortable back pedaling.
But if the proceeding questions were answered yes, 24"
-The only time this has been an issue was with my wife. Somebody told her, "full leg extension," which is TOTALLY WRONG! So my wife rides bikes set up to fit me!
In the end, the customer is right, if the want banana cream pie I'll get it to make the sale!

The vintage bikes we call 26in were designed to fit the average 9 to 15 year old rider. That is probably about perfect for a 5'1" height. In addition to smaller frames, 24in bikes have a shorter crank throw, suitable only for little kids with little legs. A person can tolerate just about anything for a short jaunt, but if your friend might ever want to take a 10 mile cruise, I would steer clear of the 24's.

Use has a lot to do with it. For proper exercise and comfort on endurance rides, I have always been told your legs should *almost* fully extend (slight bend in the knee) when seated and that legs pedal is at the bottom of its rotation. For cruiser bikes, some people just don't like that, and want to be able to put their feet on the ground and remain seated, so a smaller frame works for them, but if you ride a bike like that for an extended period of time your legs will probably start to hurt.

Back