Bike prices of old

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going over the Vintage ads thread and I was surprised at the prices of bikes in those years. I mean $30 to $40 for a bike in the 30's, 40's and 50's was serious coin. I would venture to say that the bikes found in Wally world these days cost less than those rides of old! I mean the bikes don't really compare but it is still quite amazing. Opinions or reflexions?

I am constantly amazed at how the chinese can produce a bike sheaply enough that Wally world can ship it half way round the world and still sell it for less than a pair of sneakers.

2manybikes said:
I am constantly amazed at how the chinese can produce a bike sheaply enough that Wally world can ship it half way round the world and still sell it for less than a pair of sneakers.
And make a profit!

Can you imagine making less than a dollar a day welding up nice aluminum frames? That's why they are so cheap, next to no labor cost. Not just wally world, many of the bike shop bikes are nearly the same frames, built with good materials and cheap labor.

yeah, but these cheap chinese bikes of today won't survive as our old USA built bikes of the 30's, 40's, 50's , 60's, 70's still do.

While it's no serious bomber, I consider my Pacific "Schwinn" to be much better than a lot of the crap :? that was out in the 70's. I would prefer it to be made in Ohio or Michigan. :(

If you were to take the price of a modern American made bicycle (like Worksman for example) and adjust it for inflation, it would be about the same price as your typical 40's or 50's bicycle. Obviously the average yearly wage was less then, but they probably didn't buy a new bike every year. Old bikes were maintained and handed down.

Trek was American made for awhile, but we can't make a good lightweight bike for a couple hundred dollars. Aerofast and Emory here in Jacksonville make bikes along the lines of Worksman, industrial, but they aren't high tech and are pricey. They have to be to stay in business.

http://www.aerofast.com/index.html

the price of labour in China is less now there than it was in America back in the 50s. And if the worker complaines hes off to jail. Not quite slave labour but close.

cycle junk said:
the price of labour in China is less now there than it was in America back in the 50s. And if the worker complaines hes off to jail. Not quite slave labour but close.
Don't forget about the lack of OSHA and the EPA. Kind of hard to compete on an even playing field when your cost of manufacturing includes worker safety and compliance with environmental regulations.
My question is why the trade commision allows a product to be sold here that isn't made following the same set of rules. ( Like Hot Wheels with lead based paint)

I'm an auto worker, so I like reading these sort of posts! There IS something to be said, for paying extra to get something built by Americans, or Europeans, or anyone else who earns a decent living and therefore contributes to the economy, rather than paying less (walmart) to get something built by slave labor in dangerous working conditions, whose labor only contrbutes to some executive fat cat.

BTW, put me down for one more vote for re-opening CWC.

It's stuff like this is why they can make .... so cheap and people just eat it up at wally world not knowing why. When something from the US is more but taking care of their waste which drives up the price along with a boat load of other things. It's just stuff people don't know or don't care cause it's less money out of their pocket and not happening in this country. Or so they think.

http://www.chinahush.com/2009/10/21/ama ... -in-china/

Back