Bike Painting Question(s)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I recently purchased a cruiser I'm going to be messing around with and one of the things I had initially intended to do was repaint it. I didn't have any specific ideas or anything and I didn't really think about it when I was buying the bike because I liked it, especially for the price.

Now I'm looking at it trying to figure out how I might repaint it. The issue I see is that my bike (pictured in my profile pic) is a matte dark grey/copper, but it's also got a textured finish to it. I'm concerned that if I were to simply repaint the bike by spraying over that finish that it will come out looking bad. Is it something I could just sand off or is it more involved than that? I like the finish but I might want to just repaint portions of it with a glossy paint to give it more character.

Anyone with experience with this kind of paint and finish have any tips or tricks?

Thanks!

Sandpaper if aluminum, can use a wire cup wheel if steel, or naval jelly for either for the paint removal. I agree with luke, can powder coat it for the most durable finish. Engine paint has high ceramic content and has also been known to work well. Regular Spray paint and airbrush are softer, scratch easily, but offer huge variety... good luck. :)

Side note: If you have it blasted, media or soda blasting does less pitting damage than sand blasting... on steele, no problem, but those aluminum frames, it makes a diff.

If you want to do it by yourwelf you could use a heatgun to heat up the paint until you see little bubbles and easy brush it off with a wirebrush. (just for steel frames)

For painting you could use graffiti cans. They offer hundrets of different colours in various finishes.

Back