bike gearing

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So when riding my cruiser hills are sometimes harder then I would like (when chasing a 10yr old) so my idea was to change the gearing. I have a single speed and found a different crank and gear it is a 36 tooth gear from a kids 18in bike. Wondering how well this would work with the 19 tooth rear gear I have basically I am being lazy and don’t want to swap everything over and find out it’s harder or not worth the time to switch? What does everyone think?

The smaller crank may not work as some newer(cheap) kids bikes have a smaller one piece bottom bracket than normal. You may be able to switch over just the 36t chainring.

Try changing the rear cog to a 20t or even 22t.

I would switch over just the kiddy chainring so you keep your adult length crank arms. Or like Clancy said, get a 22t rear sprocket which is an easier change mechanically most likely.

so just switch the crankring and be done easy I guess was going to rip it apart and repaint it anyway

36/19 will be a good pulling gear, easy to pull wheelies. You'll probably have to shorten the chain, but with a larger rear sprocket you would probably have to add to it. You won't have much speed though, unless you can really spin those pedals.

The left pedal and the left side washer and adjusters on the cranks are left handed threads. The adjuster that holds the sprocket on the cranks is regular threads, counterclockwise to loosen. That would be a good time to add some grease to the bearings too.

yeah no wheelies here 26in cruiser w/ 15in tall apes so... oh yeah and a little girl in a bike cart on the back sometimes. Wait that would be impressive to pull a wheelie hummm might have to try it!!!!

I was amazed that the bike my brother and I welded up was balanced, so I tried a few wheelies. Well, it came over on me and I couldn't walk it off, so I had to go the the ER the following morning. Severely sprained knee and ankle. Be careful out there.

25uptg9.jpg

yeah the only way I would share about a wheelie is if was awsome and no ijuires my sons they would tell everybody!!!!

The front crank can help too. I like a 38 or 40 tooth. Be sure the kid crank you use has the "peg" hole in the side to stop the gear from spinning on the crank..some of the kid bikes don't. They have a crank hole with one or two flat sides.

Back