Bike for a bikeless kid! "Mission Accomplished!"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For the last two years, I have built bikes right before Christmas & donated them to the school for kids who are less fortunate. This is my fourth one in the last 3 years. I do it because I think every kid should have a bike. I think I get more satisfaction from it than the recipient does. I live outside a small town (pop. 900), so I usually see the bike at some point cruising around town. To me that makes it all worth it. This is my latest build for this project. Bratz bike, de-junked, with parts added from 2 other bikes. Paint on frame was in really good shape. Forks looked like crap, as did the chainguard. Sand blasted the fork pieces & chainguard, powder coated them black chrome (my second favorite color) to make it presentable. I think it turned out pretty cool. Can't wait to see some litte boy or girl riding it in town. :D

So if you've been wondering what to do with all those left over parts, here ya go!

PC130446.jpg

Re: Bike for a bikeless kid!

Good on ya Pick, I did the same project fixin up bikes for needy kids....gave hundreds away for the past twenty or so years
I got a lot of satisfaction doing it and the kids get exercize....Its all good !
Mark

Top Shelf...!

I love doing it! Sometimes I even feel guilty because I get so much pleasure from it! These are donated anonymously, so the kids don't know where it comes from. To me, that's the best part!

that is wicked cool of you !!! ( sorry , im a new englander :lol: )
BRAVO on you pick!!
8)

CRASH said:
Good on ya Pick! How is the recepient chosen?

I talk to the grade school counselor each year & she determines which child needs it the most. Last year I did two, a girls & a boys bike, this year I didn't have time to get the other one done! :(

Well, I'll tell you that you've inspired me to look into it. That would be a great community service project for me and my boys. We're a pretty big city, so I don't know who to work through, but I'll just start asking the questions.

Bike looks great Pic!! Great cause too!
You've got them custom enough that you'll be able to tell they are your build when you see them riding around
That bike is going to bring a great big smile on some kid's face!

i agree with pick ....it feels real good 2 do this ...me and another guy have done something similar the last 3 xmas's ...we did 14 last year ...hooked up with the local food pantry and they gave em away ...bunch of happy little turd buckets runnin around town !!!! puts a smile on my face !!!
although i do it when ever i see a kid need a bike .... this one little dude walked by my storage shed where i worked on my bikes ..like 5 days in a row ...he finally stoped n talked 2 me ...he seen all the bikes i had in there and started askin all kinds of questions !!!! was real nice little fella ...so he told me he hasent had a bike in 2 years ...i says no bike whys that ...mom cant afford one for me ...i said well thats kinda sucky huh ...yep sure does he says !!! i asked where he lives n he told me ..turned out i knew his ma ..so i fixed him up a bike n took it over n left it at his house ...he was freakin out after school that day ...stoped by tellin me how happy he was !!! :D
anyway ...makes me smile !!!
anyone else do this ???
im sure with all the nice guys on here !!!! :mrgreen:

CRASH said:
Well, I'll tell you that you've inspired me to look into it. That would be a great community service project for me and my boys. We're a pretty big city, so I don't know who to work through, but I'll just start asking the questions.

The best way for you is to probably go through the school. They know who really has it rough.

I get most of my parts from the landfill at a small city near me. They are cool enough to separate the bikes from the other scrap & put them in a separate place. They know me out there now, & between the Lions Club & myself, they won't let anyone else scrounge through the bikes.

It amazes me what people throw away. I brought a bike home last year from there that the only thing wrong with it was the seat had broken off the seatpost. It was honestly like brand new, still had nubs on the tires! I snagged another decent seat off one of their junker bikes, brought it home, aired up the tires & it was good to go!

I'm no match for the Super Bike Builders around here. 800 bikes in how many days? I'm like small potatoes compared to them! :lol: :lol:

I may have to get involved in that one nxt year!

I found out today that the bike went to a 9 year old girl, living with her foster parents. She has no clue where it came from & that's the way I like it! Since Benton is a pretty small town, I'm sure I will see her riding it soon. That will make my day! :D

Yeah seeing it being ridden makes it all worth while. I remember last year when building all those bikes thinking I'd never see any of the bikes being ridden. One day I spotted a girl and a boy riding together down the street. Him on the model of boys bike we built and her on the model of girls bike we built so I know they almost had to be bikes we built.

Back