Bike for a Big Girl

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my girlfriend kinda needs a bike- she doesn't drive but needs to be able to get around a bit better than on Shankses Mare. I was thinking a nice beach cruiser like my Eldorado, with paniers and stuff. Only catch is, she's a big girl. Around 225 pounds, but healthy.

Are there any special considerations I'd need to make when building her a bike? Frame reinforcement, special seat, modified rims, anything?

Edit: Oley moley, my avatar is Beralzebub? How long have I been inactive here?

lots of guys here weigh 200+ and ride all sorts of bikes with nothing special done to them.

get her a comfortable seat.

I see a lot of these post come up where the weight of the rider is a conceren. I have yet to see one of those post have a weight that excedes mine, 260lbs. With that said, I have ridden, jumped, and abused all types of bikes and never had any issues. Whether it was boys, girls, wallmart, bike shop, whatever they all seem to hold up fine. Don't get me wrong I have taco'ed some wheels and such but that was under some heavy abuse. I think if the idea is to just cruise on a bike and no jumping or anything like that is in the plan than you will be fine with whatever she likes, just get something she is comfotable with.

Yep I'm with them. My wife is on the big side and she rides like the wind on anything
I have built. Nothing special done to them.

Awright, cool. Thanks. Now to start looking for a frame and going from there. She's already said she wants hand brakes and a girl's frame, so that gives me something to work with. Maybe see if I can get a single- speed freewheel hub.

Not so sure about the low gearing. I want her to be able to use it for transportation, not weight loss.

Went to the best rummage sale in town, only to discover their only bike was a junked-out Schwinn with ape hangers for $95. Who pays that much?

Now, go back and scratch out the weight before your GF looks. Women don't like to have their weight shared. Just looking out for you buddy!

my wife is on the big side and she rides a huffy cranbrook from Wally World, she wanted a pretty bike so until l i find her a gem in the rough to fix up she is fine with her cheapo cruiser, I would recommend a better seat thou.

51wxHKLjPiL.jpg

I had to de-sticker the thing thou because all the stickers had bubbles in them and weren't even stuck on all the way

you just cant spend less than a hundred bucks on a bike now a days and get much oh well she likes it is all that matters, right?

Latest posts

Back