bike flip

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kim_dude said:
g-ratter said:
Was thinking of going with a maroon color for the frame with cream wheels but finding it harder then expected to get the tires in the size I want (26 x 1 3/8). Might need to rethink the color scheme. Any one know of any?

http://www.amazon.com/Schwalbe-Delta-Cr ... +bike+tire

Found these guys myself last night. Not outrageously priced but since they are imports a little more then I wanted to spend for a flip, but might really make the build.

you could always flip the color scheme (think vintage gilmore racing livery)
go with a cream color frame and maroon rims/spokes and black tires
or get the red tires with cream frame and keep the wheels chrome

Thanks for the idea Monark. I was actually just web surfing for vintage color schemes. Original idea was in the red family since I think a guy is going to be interested in something like this and keeping it hot rod looking might help. The chrome on the wheels is in pretty good shape so just shining them up would keep things simple. Maybe black spokes and hub??

Put the major parts together to see how things were lining up. Since I originally wanted to use a larger frame with 700 tires it was looking small but with the seat set at that height it did not feel so bad for my 6 foot frame.
mockup_zpse5172a87.jpg

Finally getting back to this after being out of town for a few weeks.
Wanted to have bobbed front and rear fenders on this so here is the back one. Used a electrical conduit bracket as a mount and the original front fender turned around since I liked the raised wedge pressed into it. Was worried that is might be wobbly with only one mounting position but seems okay so far. Will see how sturdy it is when riding.

Frame and truss rod setup are really cool . I love the loops at the bottom.

XC204 said:
Frame and truss rod setup are really cool . I love the loops at the bottom.
Going to repeat the idea on the back end for decoration purposes. There is a small fender mounting tab there that I will utilize as the loop. I want to put a curl on the top end of it were it will touch the frame if I can figure out a way to bend inch rod with what tools I have in the shop.

Nothing like the good old thrift shop to solve a problem. Found a candelabra that had the perfect size rod and curl for what I was thinking about.
Also decided to go with the gum walled tires since they were better for the budget. Will try and work in the gold color on the frame with some pin striping.

This seems to be a small frame so with the handlebars flipped the .... pit area felt a little cramped for my 6 foot frame. So welded up a Lucky seven seat post out of 2 old seat tubes.
Last time I tried this I ended up bending the vertical tube and had to jam another tube inside to reinforce it which worked well so on this one I just went ahead and did it right off the bat just to be safe.
Debating about added a diagonal support just for safety sake. What are other builders experiences with home built seat posts like? Even though it would limit the front/back movement of the seat would you recommend it?

Back