Bighead Canal Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK you slacker...... get off your duff and get your head back into the buildoff............

photo3a.jpg

Graylock

Yah, I have been slacking off lately but I was working on a sidecar project......I'll give that a little rest.

I collected some parts like the paper boy basket and a light package. Got to have lights on the canal bike path, though it is well lit at night at the canal. I also found some stuff off my deceased Dory that I like to use, some of that stuff I have no idea where it will end up. I have some paint that I bought for another build last year and may use it for this.
I don't plan on spending to much money on this but that won't stop me from spending. :)

Going to start with the rear fender and figure out a tail light this weekend along with a head light......

GL

An interesting point you have. I thought of it and it has been done as a canal cruiser and I don't have one. Key point to a canal cruiser is spending little or no money. There were three trikes that I saw and they were a rusted and banged up thing of beauty. Personally I think that the three wheelers make the best canal cruisers because they will not tip over when parked :shock: . Most of the builders talk about keeping their loads low and make special extentions on their kick stands. Half of the guys just dump the bikes on their sides and call it good. That's a KOTA thing :lol: . I'm going for a bolt on center stand that I'll make up at some point near the end of the build.
There was one trailer and his had all the bells and whistles on his trailer at all times and towed it with his mountain bike. That rig doesn't tip over when parked.

Later
GL

I had a great holiday weekend, bike riding and beer and all..... :roll: but not to much on the build at hand. Here's something that I did but after having the rear wheel on and off a couple dozen times I was tired of it messing with my head. I know what it needs but gave up to go on a bike ride and a beer :wink: . The verticle fender stay was off another fender I had and I had to reshape it to fit and now needs a new hole to lower it. I had the same problem with the street sweeper on the Grunge Rudge . Also have to do a little more tin knocking on the foward rear fender extention. I saw a nice mud guard at the LBS that would lower it even more to the ground.

I realized that this bike frame was not of steel when the chain guard mount fell off. I'll have to make a bracket for that.

CanalCruiser-02jpg.jpg

GL

I like the mud flap idea....What ya got going on in the background? A doggie side car?

Cool side car, but yikes! That pug is stealing the show in this pic, I'm afraid!
Any plans to throw an add-on to your bike? Side cars can be tricky to ride, so I've heard.

No chance to add this sidecar to the Bighead, the car is another build I'm doing right now.

To answer other questions the car has two pins I pull out and quick release the seat post in two places and pull the post off the bike. As far as the ride you have to drive them flat and lean into the corners but i do fly the car on a left turn sometimes. I toe out the seat to the left to give more room for the hardware. It is a better ride than my Hammer Head Trike but is much wider on the road. It's a lot of fun to ride and............hey KOTA, don't be snooping around my garage :lol:

Back to the Bighead

GL

Graylock said:
...hey KOTA, don't be snooping around my garage :lol: GL
So sorry. From now on I'll close my eyes when I look at your pics.

I like the sidecar project in the background :wink: And the dog doing his business :lol: Can't wait to see what this project has in store :mrgreen:

I stopped off at my LBS to pick up these and a new tire tube. They were bagged as A.J. Boston but when I opened them up they were Hunt Wilde made. They have been hanging in the North Eastham store for quite a few years so they thought it would be funny if they put them in the Orleans store to tease me. This is what the Orleans manager told me but he's just a funny guy.
I picked the white over the black but when I paint up the fender I'll decide then. It's a couple inches off the street right where I wanted it.

CanalCruiser-03.jpg

CanalCruiser-04.jpg

Later

GL

You got that right :wink: my thinking exactly, and as to the fender color I'm holding back till I see it in real time. I had 2 cans for another build last year and I'll use it if I can remember where I set it aside from the rest of my paints. This is what happens when you leave it in a paper bag on the shelve or was it a box :roll: From what I can remember it was two colors in the orange brown range, I'm looking for it still. Everything will change if it doesn't look good because that white or black mud flap is going to fly no matter what it takes :shock:

Been messing with the paper boy's newspaper basket that I have. The thing is massive and strong. It will be the envy of all the Canal Cruisers :wink: After messing with all this stuff I'm going to make sure my rear tire, fender, and basket are assembled in the proper sequence to prevent scratching the paint or there will be some jumping around and loud verbal gutter language for my neighbors. :oops:

Graylock

When you weren't home last week, I snuck into your garage....The paint is in a bag, that's in a box, on the top shelf, to the left............OH! Don't bother looking for your Vise-grips!

Thanks KOTA. Thanks a lot. It was where you said it was but I don't think I'll use it. It was Krylon Pumkin Orange and Bauhaus Gold, not bad but not this bike. I did find two cans of Rustoleum Sail Blue and one of Cobalt Blue Metallic that caught my eye.
...........oh and about those vise grips, you can keep them. Those things are evil blood sucking devices, don't make say I told you so when they bite you.

Graylock

Back