Bicycle License Plates, Novelty Tags?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin B

Bicycle Demolitionist
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What to you think a standard size tag for a bicycle plate would be. Not a government issued but say a novelty plate. Would it be like the plastic bike plates in the rack in Wal-Mart? I know there isn't really a standard, but what do you like?

I'm thinking about fabricating a curved, side mounted tag bracket.

I have these 2 plates. Left side is novelty, right one is NH state issued (I believe).
Novelty one measures 6”x 2 7/8”s. Other plate is 4 3/4 x 2”. Hope that helps
IMG_6515.jpeg

I got the Riff Ratt plate made up from here a few years ago, 3" x 2" is what it looks like. Any larger and it may seem oversized for a bike. The Sandusky plate is a real one and might be the best size to have on a bike.
190538-widen-frame.jpg
221446-08-Jan-23-j.jpg

I have these 2 plates. Left side is novelty, right one is NH state issued (I believe).
Novelty one measures 6”x 2 7/8”s. Other plate is 4 3/4 x 2”. Hope that helps
View attachment 260024.
The New Hampshire tag is a cereal box reward from Wheaties. They made all states for a few years. There are a bunch of personalized plates on eBay. You use to be able to find them on a display in stores like K-mart and TG&Y.

What to you think a standard size tag for a bicycle plate would be. Not a government issued but say a novelty plate. Would it be like the plastic bike plates in the rack in Wal-Mart? I know there isn't really a standard, but what do you like?

I'm thinking about fabricating a curved, side mounted tag bracket.
Screenshot_20230909_111623_Facebook.jpg

1000007044.jpg
Snapchat-2002985028.jpg

Depends what I have on hand in some occasions, in others what I'm riding and where. For these, it really just came down to my idea of the finished look.

In the case of the Rollfast, I used a NOS chain guard bracket to mount the license Chopperstyle alongside the frame instead of On it.

Robin

Latest posts

Back