BF Goodrich Year?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would appreciate your help with the year and model of this Schwinn built BF Goodrich I picked up at a recent flea market. Serial # is D20002. Do the BFG serial numbers fall right in with Schwinn? Thanks.

August2012007.jpg

August2012005.jpg

August2012003.jpg

August2012006.jpg

August2012004.jpg

That's a postwar Schwinn DX model. The number makes it an early '48. Wrong rack. The rims are pre-S2 drop centers. That baby is sure crusty. The frame would make a good start to a build.

Those "knobs" are called spinners. Someone delivered newspapers on that bike and wrapped the strap of the paper bag around the spinners. They probably ditched the headlight to make room for the paperbag. :wink: Gary

Thanks for all the info! Yes, this sweetheart is really crusty! Were the Goodrich's or any other names produced by Schwinn just mixed into the normal production run, so the serial numbers would fall right in line with the Schwinn's? Would these rims use a regular 26 X 2.125 tire? Did the S-2's use the same tire or was it different like the S-7's special 1 3/4 size? I thought the rear rack was probably added. One pedal is missing but the other has wood grips. Was this common? One more question - were the S-2's stamped with that identifying mark? Was it in a particular location, like near the valve stem?

Thanks again for all of your help!

Nick - yes, I probably would sell the knobs if I can get them off. I am new to this forum and don't know how to send a pm. Craig

BikeSup said:
Nick - yes, I probably would sell the knobs if I can get them off. I am new to this forum and don't know how to send a pm. Craig

Cool To pm click on my name the after on that page click private message.

BikeSup said:
Thanks for all the info! Yes, this sweetheart is really crusty! Were the Goodrich's or any other names produced by Schwinn just mixed into the normal production run, so the serial numbers would fall right in line with the Schwinn's? Would these rims use a regular 26 X 2.125 tire? Did the S-2's use the same tire or was it different like the S-7's special 1 3/4 size? I thought the rear rack was probably added. One pedal is missing but the other has wood grips. Was this common? One more question - were the S-2's stamped with that identifying mark? Was it in a particular location, like near the valve stem?

Thanks again for all of your help!

B.F. Goodrich numbers are in the same series as Schwinn marked bikes.
Your rims will take 26 X 2.125 tires no problem.
Wood block pedals were common during WW2 as rubber was harder to get then. That, or just really cheap pedals.
S-2's take 26 X 2.125 also...no special tire on them.
S-2's are marked "Schwinn S-2 Tubular Rim". Stamped in ramdon location. S-2's are flat top rims. Your rims are drop center and are correct for that bike as the S-2's didn't come out until a few years after your bike was made. Gary

Thanks! Again, you've been a wealth of information & much help.

Did I see on an earlier post that you have a '41 CWC? I have an old Roadmaster 24" straight bar (I'm not sure if this is correct terminology for the bar between the head tube and the BB) with the # F 08766 CW. How can I date it?

Latest posts

Back